Football Officiating > General Discussion

Pregame duties

(1/1)

Grant - AR:
I have a friend who is looking for some notes on pre-snap responsibilities for H, L, and B.  Since I haven't studied 5-man mechanics in a while, I thought I would throw it out here.  What have you guys got?  tiphat:

VALJ:
Sorry - misread the title as "pre-snap" for some reason...  For our association:

HL - chains.  Meet with your chain crew and explain your expectations, and that you are the only man on the football field that can tell them to move.  Make sure that the chain is 10 yards long with tape in the middle.  Introduce yourself to the head coach, ask for his help in keeping the sideline clear - especially for the chains - and explain that you'll do your best to get him answers to his questions as quickly as possible.

LJ - Walk the field looking for hazards.  Check the three-yard marks on each side of the field, check that the goal posts are properly padded, move the pylons at the hash marks extended off the end line (since they're just going to be in the way there).  Talk to the band director to ensure that the national anthem is played in plenty of time to get the game started.  Introduce yourself to the head coach, ask for his help in keeping the sideline clear and explain that you'll do your best to get him answers to his questions as quickly as possible.

BJ - Meet with the clock operator to verify that he's been certified by the state (if he's not one of our officials).  Approve game balls.  Get the name of the ballboy(s) or -girl(s) and instruct them on staying close to the official on their side.  Give each wing man the name accordingly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version