Football Officiating > General Discussion

NFL's new mechanic with U and DJ?

(1/4) > >>

mazzamouth:
Any one seen the new mechanic with the Umpire standing in the Offense's backfield?.. why the change and the umpire not standing on the defense's side?..BTw Manning got a penalty called on him cause he snapped the ball and the Umpire was behind the farthest guy in the backfield.

JugglingReferee:
They want to reduce injuries to Umpires.

In some cases, such as under the 2MW, the U go es back to the B backfield.  Also on FGAs and PATs.

The QB gets a thumbs up from the HL so he knows when it's ok to snap so that he doesn't have to turn his head to see if the U is in position.  Going early is a foul, as Manning learned.

Also: this weekend, the NFL goes to 8-man crew.  Say Hello to the Deep Judge (DJ).  I think he'll be deep, and BJ may move up a tad.

mazzamouth:
I wonder how many times did a Umpire get hurt in the last few years.. it just seems like a really not smart move.. seems like there will be no one to look for Holding on the defense side..and a DJ? that one does not make any sense to me... but Hey Im not a NFL official and probably never will be.

HLinNC:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/sports/football/22umpire.html

--- Quote ---A year after there were more than 100 collisions involving umpires — three sustained concussions and two others needed surgery for their injuries —
--- End quote ---

cincybearcat:

Also: this weekend, the NFL goes to 8-man crew.  Say Hello to the Deep Judge (DJ).  I think he'll be deep, and BJ may move up a tad.
[/quote]

Watching a game on NFL network right now with the 8th official.  Are they going to continue to expieriment w/ this the rest of the pre-season?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version