RefStripes.com
Football Officiating => Texas Topics => Topic started by: bctgp on August 29, 2019, 11:50:51 PM
-
Did anyone catch the Katy vs North Shore game tonight on ESPN?
1. There was an ineligible receiver foul called on a legal grounding by the QB with pass outside the sideline I thought we do not call a foul for that starting this year? (4Q near 10 min mark). Is that correct?
2. Did Anyone catch the Katy player helmet off at the 4Q 6min mark? He picked it up and with ease put back on head as he exited for one play. Chin straps and everything was still snapped. I remember my glory days in HS (not much glory in reality) but we had to put our fingers in the ear holes and pull the helmet open to get it on. On the sideline, he easily pushes helmet up to get a drink, slides up effortlessly. Okay, okay, I know preaching to the choir on this one.
3. At 4Q 3:39 mark, 3rd and 10 for North Shore from A-45. North shore runs to B-45 for 1st down. There is a dead-ball foul right after the play for personal foul UNR on North Shore. However, after the penalty enforcement, they have 1st & 15 from the A-40, TV shows 1st and 15 as well. The chains are positioned at the A-45 with LTG stake at the B-45, succeeding spot is at A-40 for the next snap. Instead, this should have been 1st & 10 from the A-40 correct?
-
Did anyone catch the Katy vs North Shore game tonight on ESPN?
1. There was an ineligible receiver foul called on a legal grounding by the QB with pass outside the sideline I thought we do not call a foul for that starting this year? (4Q near 10 min mark). Is that correct?
This has actually been ‘philosophy’ for many years, but is actual NCAA rule for 2019.
2. Did Anyone catch the Katy player helmet off at the 4Q 6min mark? He picked it up and with ease put back on head as he exited for one play. Chin straps and everything was still snapped. I remember my glory days in HS (not much glory in reality) but we had to put our fingers in the ear holes and pull the helmet open to get it on. On the sideline, he easily pushes helmet up to get a drink, slides up effortlessly. Okay, okay, I know preaching to the choir on this one.
He sat out the next down - right? Then no problem. If they lose a game due to his absence for a down, they’ll get that problem fixed. The rule has worked quite well since put in 2012. Prior to that, helmets were coming off 10 times per game or so.
3. At 4Q 3:39 mark, 3rd and 10 for North Shore from A-45. North shore runs to B-45 for 1st down. There is a dead-ball foul right after the play for personal foul UNR on North Shore. However, after the penalty enforcement, they have 1st & 15 from the A-40, TV shows 1st and 15 as well. The chains are positioned at the A-45 with LTG stake at the B-45, succeeding spot is at A-40 for the next snap. Instead, this should have been 1st & 10 from the A-40 correct?
Unless there is something we don’t know, yes, the dead-ball foul between series should have resulted in 1/10, A-40. If those are all the facts, then this was a crew error. Thankfully, not one considered ‘catastrophic,’ like awarding a score erroneously or giving the ball to the wrong team by penalty (yes, those have happened), but a serious error, nonetheless.
-
The inelig downfield play. https://youtu.be/bKSunWIJ_84 (https://youtu.be/bKSunWIJ_84)
The dead ball pers foul play. It got misenforced. EVen if penalized as a live ball foul, it was wrong. https://youtu.be/_XFzT9GMmw8 (https://youtu.be/f5-E5zOLaS8)
-
The inelig downfield play. https://youtu.be/f5-E5zOLaS8 (https://youtu.be/f5-E5zOLaS8)
The dead ball pers foul play. It got misenforced. EVen if penalized as a live ball foul, it was wrong. https://youtu.be/f5-E5zOLaS8 (https://youtu.be/f5-E5zOLaS8)
Both appear to be the same play.
But, there seems to be a holding foul on the play with the IDP. What got enforced? But, if a flag was thrown for IDP, that was incorrect.
Robert
-
Fixed the link.
Yes
-
If I recall right they declined the IDP and the second foul if I recall was a holding. Might have declined both.
They did make the player whose helmet came off not due to foul sit out for a down. I was just commenting on how easily the helmet was slid back over his head and also slid up to take a drink of water.
-
On the late hit play, other than what is shown on the TV info ribbon, how do we know it was 1/15? I never trust the TV stuff, and I can't see the chains in the video.
-
Would you trust me ? ;D
I obviously had the same thought, so fast forwarded to the next play and you can see the front stage is at the B-45.
-
Would you trust me ? ;D
I obviously had the same thought, so fast forwarded to the next play and you can see the front stage is at the B-45.
Being DVR poor, I have no way of looking at anything not live, except through your eyes, O Great One. So, yes, I trust you.
That being the case (LTG = B-45), then something was amiss. With a 15-yard penalty, how do you get to 1/15? I could see 1/25 - albeit incorrect. But 1/15? A royal "cock-up" as they say in...oh, I don't know - somewhere.
Robert
-
The Referee was chopping/blowing the whistle on several occasions that did not seem appropriate. After every free kick, the PC was set at 25 and chopped. Am I missing something?
-
Anyone feel there was FST on the #2 receiver (I believe) on Katy's final scoring play?
-
If I recall right they declined the IDP and the second foul if I recall was a holding. Might have declined both.
They did make the player whose helmet came off not due to foul sit out for a down. I was just commenting on how easily the helmet was slid back over his head and also slid up to take a drink of water.
The other foul was announced as "facemask" (committed by LT). Foul should've been announced as HTF.
-
Actually it was the #1 receiver top of the screen. Yes, you could justify a FST call there.
-
After every free kick, the PC was set at 25 and chopped. Am I missing something?
Modify message
Sorry but I wanted to ask this again. On a televised national college game the PC was set on 25 and chopped after the free kick following a touchdown.
Is this a television adjustment? After the touchdown, it was set on 40 but not after the kickoff. Any answers?
-
After every free kick, the PC was set at 25 and chopped. Am I missing something?
Modify message
Sorry but I wanted to ask this again. On a televised national college game the PC was set on 25 and chopped after the free kick following a touchdown.
Is this a television adjustment? After the touchdown, it was set on 40 but not after the kickoff. Any answers?
Maybe the play clock operator did not know what he was doing. Worked three varsity games last weekend and each clock operator had his own interepreation of when to go 25 and when to go 40. One of the three never got the 40 after a kickoff. I just let it happen that way. I was able to talk to him post game about it. Hopefully next week he will do better.
-
Maybe the play clock operator did not know what he was doing. Worked three varsity games last weekend and each clock operator had his own interepreation of when to go 25 and when to go 40. One of the three never got the 40 after a kickoff. I just let it happen that way. I was able to talk to him post game about it. Hopefully next week he will do better.
Did you have pre-game conferences with the operators? If that isn’t happening, then we share the responsibility for their failures. The TASO manuals, which are adopted by the UIL, require a pre-game conference between the COs and the R and B (or B & S, crew of 7), one hour prior to kickoff. These issues are precisely the reason for the pre-game conference.
Now, I’ll wait for the...
-
We had a conference with our PCO. He understood the rules very well. He went thru different scenarios and he was spot on. Not sure what he did on his way back up to the press box, but he was horrible at the clock. The GCO was solid but PCO must have been snacking on the press box buffet.
-
Went to a “major” college game Saturday. Pretty sure they had had a conference . PCO was habitually wrong and crew was signaling for resets or different times. And R made announcements 2-3 times directibgvthe PCO what to do after a score or a KO.
-
Maybe the play clock operator did not know what he was doing. Worked three varsity games last weekend and each clock operator had his own interepreation of when to go 25 and when to go 40. One of the three never got the 40 after a kickoff. I just let it happen that way. I was able to talk to him post game about it. Hopefully next week he will do better.
Question begs, why didn't R correct?
-
Doesn't this discussion, and essentially any other discussion about a TASO officiated game, violate the social media policy? Sure looks like it to me. :sTiR:
-
Same thought occurred to me Doc.
-
We have had trouble with PCO in two games this year... talked before the game... talked during halftime. First game got more or less corrected.
Second game, we must have been a little stern, because he slowed way down on starting the PC in all situations...
-
Doesn't this discussion, and essentially any other discussion about a TASO officiated game, violate the social media policy? Sure looks like it to me. :sTiR:
Just wait until the state championship semis and final...