RefStripes.com

Football Officiating => Texas Topics => Topic started by: Official_21 on September 23, 2019, 03:05:39 PM

Title: Play clock setting on PATs
Post by: Official_21 on September 23, 2019, 03:05:39 PM
Could someone confirm with me what the play clock should be set to on PATs?

If I recall correctly, it is 40 seconds, but I just wanted to make sure, since all the reference material I have says 25 seconds.
Title: Re: Play clock setting on PATs
Post by: Magician on September 23, 2019, 05:02:45 PM
Definitely 25. NCAA did change this situation to 40 and it starts after the TD. They did this to avoid long delays in celebrating the score and getting your FG team out there for the try. They did it as an attempt to shorten the game, but I don't think the impact is huge. I have liked it because it moves us fairly quickly from score to try.
Title: Re: Play clock setting on PATs
Post by: Legacy Zebra on September 23, 2019, 06:45:46 PM
There is no UIL exception for this. It’s 40 just like NCAA.
Title: Re: Play clock setting on PATs
Post by: Clear Lake ref on September 23, 2019, 06:58:21 PM
The error in the Houston Chapter guide has been noticed.
Title: Re: Play clock setting on PATs
Post by: Official_21 on September 24, 2019, 08:00:41 AM
I do know, if I have any doubt, set the play clock to 40 seconds and let the R correct you if you have the wrong time set on the play clock.

With that being said, even though I am a first year clock operator, I am trying to avoid resets as much as possible, which is why I asked the question  tiphat: