RefStripes.com
Football Officiating => National Federation Discussion => Topic started by: dch on October 08, 2021, 01:52:38 PM
-
Rule 7, Section 1, Art. 2 The snapper may lift the ball for lateral rotation but may not .........
What is the amount of lifting that is allowed?
What if the defensive nose guard reacts (into the neutral zone, or even contact) and the offensive coach claims that the snapper was just lifting the ball for adjustment.
-
Rule 7, Section 1, Art. 2 The snapper may lift the ball for BACKWARD PASS rotation but may not .........
What is the amount of lifting that is allowed?
What if the defensive nose guard reacts (into the neutral zone, or even contact) and the offensive coach claims that the snapper was just lifting the ball for adjustment.
Autocorrect gotcha.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
Autocorrect gotcha.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll quote my good friend Al on this one and just say it doesn’t matter what the offensive coach says. All that matters is what you the official saw and the judgment you made in accordance with acceptable interpretations, common sense, and fairness. Did you think he moved the ball in a way that caused B to encroach?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
"Autocorrect gotch ya" Kalle rules!! yEs:
-
Rule 7, Section 1, Art. 2 The snapper may lift the ball for BACKWARD PASS rotation but may not .........
What is the amount of lifting that is allowed?
What if the defensive nose guard reacts (into the neutral zone, or even contact) and the offensive coach claims that the snapper was just lifting the ball for adjustment.
Usually this is done in the first 1-2 seconds when the center is first addressing the ball. There's not going to be any adjustments after that, typically.
-
Auto correct certainly did get me. The rule book says "lateral(lll) rotation".
One of my questions is --- how high may the snapper lift the ball for his rotation adjustment. Since the book doesn't state an amount of lift I'm looking for group guidance regarding acceptable interpretations, common sense and fairness. And don't forget about "I'll know it when I see it". (I do think I know it when I see it in this situation) but still looking for some group guidance
-
got me again. what can I type to get the "L" word in there?
-
got me again. what can I type to get the "L" word in there?
LTRL ???
-
Unilateral minus the uni.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
One of my questions is --- how high may the snapper lift the ball for his rotation adjustment. Since the book doesn't state an amount of lift I'm looking for group guidance regarding acceptable interpretations, common sense and fairness. And don't forget about "I'll know it when I see it". (I do think I know it when I see it in this situation) but still looking for some group guidance
Rather than focus on the exact type and micro-measurement of "allowable adjustment", you might rely more on your "I'll know it when I see it" instincts guided by NFHS: 2-40-2: "the snap begins when the snapper first moves the ball other than in adjustment. In a snap, the movement must be a quick and continuous backwards motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it touches an "A" lineman. (2-4-3: the snap ends when the ball touches the ground or ANY player.)
-
"The snapper may lift the ball for lateral rotation but may not rotate end-for-end or change the location or fail to keep the long axis of the ball at right angles to the line of scrimmage"
Anything that goes beyond this description would be suspect. Functionally, allowing them to totally pick it up off the ground or slide it forward would not be acceptable. Most good umpires that I've worked with will ask the snapper how they want the laces turned when for when they spot the ball.
-
Anything that goes beyond this description would be suspect. Functionally, allowing them to totally pick it up off the ground or slide it forward would not be acceptable. Most good umpires that I've worked with will ask the snapper how they want the laces turned when for when they spot the ball.
I agree, but observation of posted clips and televised and streamed games makes it clear that on long snaps, a "lift, cock (slight forward movement), and snap is "overlooked" in all 3 officiating codes despite the rules requiring one continuous motion backward. I would recommend that this be discussed with your officiating board and assigning supervisor to get a better understanding, as Al recommends, of how flexible the judgment here should be. A note of caution here in that once the ball moves, B is free to legally enter the NZ (not slap the ball) and we need to be mindful to officiate this correctly, judgment not withstanding.
-
Anything that goes beyond this description would be suspect. Functionally, allowing them to totally pick it up off the ground or slide it forward would not be acceptable. Most good umpires that I've worked with will ask the snapper how they want the laces turned when for when they spot the ball.
Great advice. It just takes a second to ask the each center (before their 1st snap) to show you how they want to see the laces, and tell them "if I forget, tell me, and I'll move the ball. "Cocking" prior to a long snap, is going to eventually cause SOMEONE (Umpire, Wing) unnecessary & avoidable problems. The FIRST time it happens (hopefully, without consequences) is the time to correct the snapper.