RefStripes.com
Football Officiating => National Federation Discussion => Topic started by: Fatso on September 08, 2022, 07:31:48 AM
-
Serious question.... ;D
I just bought 'The Clasp'. Anyone use one or have any other gimmicks/tricks?
-
I wear one of those shirt-stay-belt thingies -- similar to this (https://honigs.com/flex-belt.html).
The little rubber studs on it provide additional friction to the flag to hold it down. Also, make sure your flag is tucked in your pants to start. Don't have the bean bag end folded over and pointing down, but actually tucked into your waistband slightly as well. If the bean bag is black, you shouldn't be able to see any yellow.
-
Put your flag more on the side of your hip instead of on the front of your hip. Your gut won't push it down as much.
Also put a piece of tape or rubber band about an inch up from the ball to make a "long toss" flag. That extra friction and that "neck" that it forms makes it tougher to come out.
I also tuck my shirt into my compression shorts and also tuck my flag into my compression shorts too. The elastic does a decent job holding it in.
I've wanted to try the clasp though. Let me know how it works.
-
I tuck the tail of the flag up under my belt, and then pull it up and tuck it into my pants. It stays there pretty well. It takes an extra motion to throw it but that's not all bad either.
I wish we could just put the flags in our front pockets. (Actually I work with 1 under my belt and 1 in my pocket, and I throw the one in my pocket.)
-
Been keeping my flag in my back pocket for 47 seasons. Never had it fall out.
The reason folks switched from back pocket to front belt was to reduce the number of incidences that showed up on video when an official - particularly the Line Judge - would reach for his flag in his back pocket, then NOT pull/throw it. Coaches would go berserk on the sidelines, and the coordinators didn't like having to defend such action. I think it started in the NFL, when video tape became prevalent, and everything shows up. Wings started putting their flags at their waists, where the 'reach' is not so noticeable. Now, whether needed or not, that's the fashion. Not sayin' it's bad - or good - just a fact. (Guess I'm just not fashionable.)
I thought all flags came with a balled end, these days. But, if not, yes, draw the flag tight at the base of the ball and tie it up with a standard beige rubber band. If you have trouble keeping it from falling off your waist, get a seamstress to sew a piece of elastic band on the inside of your waistband, and tuck the flag between the elastic band and the waistband.
Or, put it in your back pocket. :)
-
Reaffirming both what boss and elvis said, on the wing I wrap a rubber band around the base of the flag ball and load almost at my hip.
The Honig's pants with the flag pocket in the front was the most poorly executed change to officiating uniforms in my career.
Now that I've migrated to white hat, I've been placing it in my right front pocket.
-
Been keeping my flag in my back pocket for 47 seasons. Never had it fall out.
Absolutely agree with "ElvisLives) I've kept my Flag(s) in my back pockets for decades, and never had a problem finding either one.
I strongly recommend keeping a flag in EACH back pocket:
* Until you are forced to use it, nobody knows it's there.
* that 2nd flag isn't heavy.
* although you'll rarely need it, when you do, it's invaluable.
* once "IF" it should be necessary, EVERYONE knows you have it. ( and you'll use it if necessary).
-
Hardware stores sell a rubber compound to dip your tool handles in. I dipped the ball end into this stuff let it hang dry. Obviously get the black colored product. It has lasted on my flag for years!!!
-
Hardware stores sell a rubber compound to dip your tool handles in.
Plasti-dip- available at Wally World also.
Our old RSO would not let us wear shoes with the white mid-soles so I had it to use to "paint" them as the old trick of a Sharpie and some black liquid polish wouldn't work-it just rubbed off.
-
Buy some velcro and sew a two inch square of the hook type on the inside of your pants where your flag will go. Then cut a strip of the loop type and wrap it around the base of the ball on your flag. Or I suppose you could switch the two as well. The part that goes on your flag should have a sticky backing to make it hold to the flag.
-
I wear one of those shirt-stay-belt thingies -- similar to this (https://honigs.com/flex-belt.html).
The little rubber studs on it provide additional friction to the flag to hold it down. Also, make sure your flag is tucked in your pants to start. Don't have the bean bag end folded over and pointing down, but actually tucked into your waistband slightly as well. If the bean bag is black, you shouldn't be able to see any yellow.
IMHO this is 100%. Been using this for 20 years and it keeps shirt perfectly tucked in and flags in place without constantly adjusting 100% of the time.
-
Put your flag more on the side of your hip instead of on the front of your hip. Your gut won't push it down as much.
Also put a piece of tape or rubber band about an inch up from the ball to make a "long toss" flag. That extra friction and that "neck" that it forms makes it tougher to come out.
I also tuck my shirt into my compression shorts and also tuck my flag into my compression shorts too. The elastic does a decent job holding it in.
I've wanted to try the clasp though. Let me know how it works.
Worked a few games with The Clasp. It definitely helps but I still have some small complaints. It's tough to get the flag back in place, you have to pull the bottom of the flag straight down and make sure it's contained in the small channel of the clasp. That leaves you with your left hand waaay down your pants trying to get situated, might look kinda funny on film.... cRaZy It's probably just a case of getting used to using it and figuring out best way to reset. Overall I'd say it's a good product.
-
Crew mate bought us all "The Clasp" in the off-season. Works like a charm. Sometimes can get a little uncomfortable after a couple of games, but for a regular single game Varsity night, I don't even notice it is there. Good product.
I'm interested in the Plasti-Dip option though....
-
I'm interested in the Plasti-Dip option though....
You have to be careful with it. It comes in a spray and a can. I use the can. Be sure to lay some newspaper or a drop cloth and then you will have to hang the flag away from other objects until it dries.
-
Welcome, Biocat, to our forum. May you find it both enjoyable and informative......Some coaches may suggest that leaving our flags ^flag at home is the best suggestion :) !