RefStripes.com

Football Officiating => National Federation Discussion => Topic started by: Fatso on October 04, 2022, 08:05:58 AM

Title: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: Fatso on October 04, 2022, 08:05:58 AM
Question from my association test:

A66 and A67 simultaneously block B95 with A66 above the waist and A67 below the waist. Is this a foul? And if so, what is the foul and enforcement?

a. Yes, Chop Block, 15 yds under 3 and 1 enforcement
b. Yes, Chop Block, 15 yds previous spot
c. No foul
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: riffraft on October 04, 2022, 10:19:49 AM
I haven't heard it called the 3 and 1 enforcement, so I assume that is the same as "all but one"

This means that all but one type of foul is enforced from the basic spot.

The basic sport for enforcement is
Loose ball play - the previous sport
Run play - The end of the run
Dead Ball - The succeeding sport.

So every foul but one is enforced from the basic sport.  The exception is a foul by A behind the basic spot, there the foul would be enforced from the spot of the foul.   

So you determine the basic sport based on the type of play and then look at where any foul by A occured and determine if it is the "one".
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: Fatso on October 04, 2022, 01:47:40 PM
I just spoke to a ref from our association.  I think it's similar to all but one but with and extra part.  Hopefully I write this correctly....  He described an example of a scrimmage kick where R foul occurs at R40, kick ends at R35, and the subsequent run ends at R30.  Enforcement is from R30 since that's the most penal of the three.  As I'm typing I realize I'm not clear on it....  because wouldn't a passing play have the same elements (spot of foul, spot where loose ball ends if caught/previous spot if incomplete, end of run).... 

maybe I should just delete this question...  hEaDbAnG
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: dammitbobby on October 04, 2022, 02:06:31 PM
Not mine but maybe this will help:  https://slidetodoc.com/penalty-enforcement-principals-enforcement-situations-principals-allbutone-allbutone/

also: https://www.sunshineofficials.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Penalty-Enforcements-Made-Easy.pdf
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: HLinNC on October 04, 2022, 02:21:38 PM
All fouls are enforced from the basic spot but one.  The one- a foul behind the basic spot by the team in possession.
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: bossman72 on October 04, 2022, 10:17:50 PM
I just spoke to a ref from our association.  I think it's similar to all but one but with and extra part.  Hopefully I write this correctly....  He described an example of a scrimmage kick where R foul occurs at R40, kick ends at R35, and the subsequent run ends at R30.  Enforcement is from R30 since that's the most penal of the three.  As I'm typing I realize I'm not clear on it....  because wouldn't a passing play have the same elements (spot of foul, spot where loose ball ends if caught/previous spot if incomplete, end of run).... 

maybe I should just delete this question...  hEaDbAnG


3 and 1 is from the NCAA book. If you live in Texas, you work NCAA rules.

All but one is from the NFHS book.  Here is a guide to help you on penalty enforcement in NFHS:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OZnNQj7o-fX6lM5I0s3_n2HTD7hBHgegIZI1ZarEtDQ/edit?usp=sharing
Title: Re: Please explain the 3 and 1 enforcement principle to me. Test question inside.
Post by: Fatso on October 05, 2022, 07:23:25 AM
I haven't heard it called the 3 and 1 enforcement, so I assume that is the same as "all but one"

This means that all but one type of foul is enforced from the basic spot.
I got clarification last night and you are correct, it's the same thing as all but one just different terminology.  Sorry for the useless thread. Thanks for your replies.