Author Topic: kickoff out of bounds?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +0/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: kickoff out of bounds?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
On only an airborne kick would you need to consider the sideline plane. The feeling back in 2000 was that a bouncing kick was in bounds until it landed OOB. If it touched R ,who was touching OOB, it would be considered R fault the kick went OOB.

Hope that helps to make it clearer.
  Thank you for your time and patience, you've been very helpful.  I don't like the differentiation between airborne and bouncing kicks.  Just my opinion though.

K attempts a pooch kick, but shanks it.  R runs 5 yards OOB near the 25 yard lane and catches the airborne kick on the fly.  = OOB caused by K, foul.  R takes the 5 yard penalty and we rekick.

K attempts another pooch kick and shanks it again, but not so bad.   This time the ball lands inbounds and bounces once high in the air.   R runs 5 yards OOB near the 25 yard lane and catches the kick before it touches the ground OB.  = OOB caused by R, new series for R at the 25 yl.

That's going to be a tough sell.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:37:02 AM by refjeff »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +51/-19
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
We were going to put a rule change in last year to say "It is only a foul for KOB if the kick becomes OOB while on or over OOB territory".  But I think we submitted it too late.  There's always next year.

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +302/-230
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
A "legal" pop up kick? ??
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline refjeff

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
A "legal" pop up kick? ??
Yeah, that kick that looks like you hit it with a nine iron.  I don't know what it would be called.

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Yeah, that kick that looks like you hit it with a nine iron.  I don't know what it would be called.
See rules 2-24-10 and 6-1-11.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:28:35 AM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline GA Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
See rules 2-26-10 and 6-1-11.
Rulesman:  I believe you mean 2-24-10.
(I can't proofread my work either.)

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 06:42:19 AM »
Do you mean a "Pooch Kick?" That kick goes directly into the air without touching ground and looks like you hit it with a nine iron
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:33:15 PM by Ump33 »

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
Rulesman:  I believe you mean 2-24-10.
(I can't proofread my work either.)
So noted and corrected. Thanks. That was a big fat fingered post.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline refjeff

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
See rules 2-24-10 and 6-1-11.
Do you think that helps?  I get it, and said so.  Not a pop up kick.  I was referring to that short chip shot that that just clears the front line of R, but it is not driven immediately into the ground.  So it looks like a pop up kick, but it's not, and it's legal.  Someone else suggested a "pouch" kick.  Is that what it is called?  And I think he meant to type "pooch" actually.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:13:26 AM by refjeff »