Author Topic: 10-2 2018  (Read 700 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +224/-242
  • When you quit learning you quit living
10-2 2018
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:37:03 AM »
I am attaching an image showing 2 different 10-2's. One, (Zone B) seems to be what 10-2 was last year.  Another (Zone A) seems to be what 10-2 is this year by the written text.    There is some disagreement over the intent of the rule change and I am looking for input.  How will you and your colleagues be judging whether a block is 10-2?  Will it be if block comes from anywhere in Zone A, Zone B, the unmarked Zone C, or somewhere else? 

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
Re: 10-2 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »
I know this is the NCAA bulletin but at both TASO regional clinics and Monday's District meeting, we were told to us 10-2 based on the head position.   We were also told that this was discussed with RR at the TASO state meeting.   In other words, 10-2 from the position of his nose.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »
I am attaching an image showing 2 different 10-2's. One, (Zone B) seems to be what 10-2 was last year.  Another (Zone A) seems to be what 10-2 is this year by the written text.    There is some disagreement over the intent of the rule change and I am looking for input.  How will you and your colleagues be judging whether a block is 10-2?  Will it be if block comes from anywhere in Zone A, Zone B, the unmarked Zone C, or somewhere else? 

In my opinion it's A, given the current language.

“Directed from the front” is defined as within the clock face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the area of concentrationof the player being blocked.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +64/-60
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »
In my opinion it's A, given the current language.

“Directed from the front” is defined as within the clock face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the area of concentrationof the player being blocked.

Most folks believe they have heard the same message.  The problem is that, as depicted in the photo, a block directly into the side of the leg of an opponent could be within this area of concentration, which would seem to be a conflict with the intent of the distinction between a front block and a side block.  If such a block is OK with the rules committee, then fine, give us some better direction as to what is the "area of concentration," and how it relates to the direction of blocks.

Robert

PS  Better yet - bite the bullet and make all low blocks illegal.  Let the DII and DIII guys scream - they'll get over it.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:55:48 PM »
Most folks believe they have heard the same message.  The problem is that, as depicted in the photo, a block directly into the side of the leg of an opponent could be within this area of concentration, which would seem to be a conflict with the intent of the distinction between a front block and a side block.  If such a block is OK with the rules committee, then fine, give us some better direction as to what is the "area of concentration," and how it relates to the direction of blocks.

Robert

PS  Better yet - bite the bullet and make all low blocks illegal.  Let the DII and DIII guys scream - they'll get over it.

Understood, Robert. To over-simplify - if he can see the block (forward of the area of concentration), he can defend himself so it's not a foul? Even if delivered directly to the side of the leg? Regardless, I'm all for your post script comment! This rule has been a bone of contention for years.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +3/-8
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »
As of this year, it is Zone A and as mentioned earlier it was emphasized by Redding at the TASo state meeting.  Definitely makes it a little more difficult to officiate BBW in my humble opinion, although other rules changes related to BBW I think will make it somewhat easier.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +64/-60
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
As of this year, it is Zone A and as mentioned earlier it was emphasized by Redding at the TASo state meeting.  Definitely makes it a little more difficult to officiate BBW in my humble opinion, although other rules changes related to BBW I think will make it somewhat easier.

From what I am hearing, there is a significant variety of explanations being offered on the Area of Concentration.  We have heard Shaw's interpretation on videos, which is 
different than Redding interpretation, which is different than at least one FBS coordinators direction to his staff. (He seems to want a narrower area of concentration, but fixed on the frame of the blockee's body, rather than on the blockee's nose (which can change from moment to moment)).
Shaw has simply got to issue a comprehensive bulletin on this.  An associated video with explicit examples would also be in order.  The fair catch thing isn't a safety issue, so if we don't get clarification on that, it won't really affect much.  But the BBW thing is a huge player safety issue, and the teams need to know the final rule, so they can teach the players what they can and can't do, and so the on-field guys will know how to officiate it consistently across the nation.  This needs to be done sooner than later.

Robert

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
If it's the nose, as in area A, then the player who will be blocked can simply look the other way to get a foul?!? That would be very weird

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +75/-105
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
If it's the nose, as in area A, then the player who will be blocked can simply look the other way to get a foul?!? That would be very weird

Some obvious judgment required here, but for example the intent of the rule is to prevent a low block against a defender moving toward a sideline while visually tracking a ball carrier from getting hit low when the block "looks like 10-2" but where the defenders focus is clearly to his left or right.  No question a judgment call but a bit hard to describe in words.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-2
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »
I’ve heard that a bulletin is forthcoming.  I hope that is true.