Author Topic: The things that coaches say...  (Read 23203 times)

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: The things that coaches say...
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »
If the box is clear before every snap, do you really care how many are in there during the dead ball?

Not particularly. But at the same time, if they hang out in the restricted area during a live ball my sideline warning is probably going to come during a dead ball when they have 4+ coaches in the restricted area.

Of course, if the restricted area is clear it's likely not going to come at all.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Perhaps he's saying that our eyesight isn't quite as good when the ball's dead...... 

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
I've used that exact same line in that exact same situation.   yEs:

My guess is the vast majority of officials can use that line. I used it last Thursday in my varsity game.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

justbill

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
Worked a Youth League game (5th grade).  Called illegal formation for only 6 on the LOS.  Coach asked me about it.  I told him he needs 7.  He says "well, that's new, when did that change?"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
If the box is clear before every snap, do you really care how many are in there during the dead ball?

It's not a big deal, and most rnanage to deal with it deal with it effectively, but a wing official's concentration is best directed, totally forward for EVERYONE'S best interest, to the field of play, rather than shared even just a little, with wondering whether coaches hovering behind him will take a step backwards (out of harm's way) when necessary in response to quick play action.

The view is just as good, and voice carries just as far from behind the restricted zone.  A large part of this rule revision was in response to SERIOUS INJURIES TO COACHES from unnecessary sideline collisions with officials.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:50:36 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
Worked a Youth League game (5th grade).  Called illegal formation for only 6 on the LOS.  Coach asked me about it.  I told him he needs 7.  He says "well, that's new, when did that change?"

My favorite is when the coach then asks "Well which guy wasn't on the line?"

zebra2955

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »
My favorite is when the coach then asks "Well which guy wasn't on the line?"

Had one yesterday well a youth coach wanted the number of the extra man in the back field.

Couldn't figure out why we couldn't give him one

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
Couldn't figure out why we couldn't give him one

"Your choice, Coach".

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »
I work at B - our mechanics call for me to line up K.

We have been instructed that we will not leave the field and signal the R for the ready until K meets the requirements of being inside the 35 with at least 4 on either side of the kicker.

A couple of weeks ago I did a little remediation with one of my teams while they were lining up.

When I got off the field one of R's assistants was waiting for me and was beside himself that I was "coaching the other team rather than flagging them."

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING"?

My job coach.

The look on his face was priceless.  "That's ridiculous, how is it your job to coach the other team?"

"Your head coach can explain it to you."
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
Coach started screaming at me last year for a flag for horsecollar tackle.  A was running and B yanked the collar from behind, but let go and A kept running a few yards longer before he was actually brought down.  Head Coach and all the little mini-me's starting screaming for horsecollar.  I told the coach no.  He said, "He grabbed his collar from the back."  I said, "Yes, but I can't throw the flag." 

"Why not?"

"Because it wasn't a tackle."

"But he grabbed his collar."

"Coach, I can't throw a flag for a horsecollar tackle if there was no tackle."

*crickets*
Had the same thing in our first game of the year but the coach didn't believe me.  Had to bring out the case book number at the start of the second half.   pHiNzuP
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Martin Kiff

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Best reply ever:  With the opponents band playing after offense breaks the huddle.  Head coach of A is screaming at the LJ to shut up the band.  LJ replies,  "But coach, it's Louie Louie." 
Second place:  "You're missing a a great game!" .... Referee, "I know, but I got assigned to this one."
Good luck on Halloween. 

Offline Kevin Durst

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »
One comment we heard once mid-way through the second half that we still laugh about - "You guys must all be pregnant.  You've missed three periods!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
Second place:  "You're missing a a great game!" .... Referee, "I know, but I got assigned to this one."
Good luck on Halloween.

write that one down, worth remembering.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
I've used that one in baseball before.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »

I've used that one in baseball before.

I've used it in Little League softball, too.  Haven't had the nerve to use it in a football game, but I sure as heck have thought it a few times...

zebra2955

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »
[quote 
Good luck on Halloween.
[/quote]

Heard that in a basketball game once, My reply was "Unfortunately it's not on this court"

Offline VALJ

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »
Apparently one of the coaches in my game understands holding better than I do.  We had a running play tonight and the linebacker tackled the lead blocker on a counter play.  I flagged it, but the coach said "you can't call holding on the defense on a running play!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
 What he said:  "You can't call holding on the defense on a running play!"

What he meant:  "You can't call holding on the defense on a running play against my team!"

Offline VALJ

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »
Totally.  He had benefitted from one in the first quarter, before he was up 28-0 and ran a fake punt...

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »
"Well, we've been doing it all season and it hasn't been flagged."

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
Apparently one of the coaches in my game understands holding better than I do.  We had a running play tonight and the linebacker tackled the lead blocker on a counter play.  I flagged it, but the coach said "you can't call holding on the defense on a running play!"
We had a BBW called against B years ago that the coach came unglued.  I'm on B's sideline and the sweep goes away from me.  The LJ throws a flag on the edge and I'm assuming it is a hold.  When the WH signaled BBW and pointed to B I assumed he pointed the wrong way.  When the U started marching off yardage against B, I ran in and asked for a clarification.  Turns out a B player dove and cut the legs out of the pulling guard.  When I reported back to the coach, he was livid and demanded to talk to the WH.  I asked him if he wanted a conference and he agreed.  We called the TO and the WH came over and made the explanation.  The coach argued and since there was no misapplication, we charged B a timeout.  Then he got really mad and gave A another 15 yards with his antics.  Rough game the rest of the night...

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »
REPLY: In most cases, no, not really. But at some places...let's just say it's easier to ask three guys to get back than thirty-three.
Bob M.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 06:17:40 PM »
Had the following scenario happen.

R1 muffed a punt in flight beyond the expanded NZ.  K1 recovered and ran for an apparent TD.  I blew the whistle and returned the ball to the spot where it was recovered by K1.  Coach K questioned me and I reminded him that K could recover but not advance a muffed punt.  He replied, why do you have to know all the rules?

Offline dcbarisax1

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • D1 NWAFOA Line Judge
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 07:43:43 AM »
Last night, 8th grade game, we have a 1st year LJ and the coaches smell fresh meat.  Some time in the 3rd the coach says something stupid, I'm working HL so I can't hear it, and we have a Sideline warning from both the R and U.  My coach is just outside his mind going 'ok, ok, that's just a sideline warning', and then there goes my U's second flag up to the lights and I get 'That ain't a sideline warning!' from my sideline.  As we step of the penalty my coach, the visitor and winning coach, is begging us not to walk off 15 and embarrass the home coach.   :!#
Read, Recognize, React.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
Newer officials should always be wary about this one:

Coach disgruntled by call, 'mmmmmmmmffmffmfm! Ref - you can't flag me for what I'm thinking, right?'
Ref: 'No, sir.'
Coach: 'Well, I THINK that you're an A** hole'