Author Topic: 1A State Championship Game Observation  (Read 3517 times)

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +7/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
1A State Championship Game Observation
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »
First of all I want to say congratulations to the crews who were selected to officiate the 1A state championship games today.  Two blow out games that seemed to play themselves.  An observation I cannot help but express is associated with the Crowell vs May game.  In my opinion it is unacceptable for officials who are working this late in the season to miss simple penalty enforcement opportunities.  This applies to the entire crew but especially the R.  A simple DPI that occurs 4 yards downfield is not a 15 yard penalty.  Not only did the R direct the U to mark off the 15 yards, the U marked off 15 yards.  The crew save has to go out to the L who had to come in before the next snap and get the enforcement corrected. The second occurrence was on an intentional grounding.  First, the L had to flag the play rather than the R.  The foul occurred at the 4 yard line.  R announced it was loss of down (which is correct) enforced half the distance from the spot of the foul.  Again, foul occurred at the 4, U put the ball at the 2.  This is wrong.  It is simply a loss of down at the spot of the fall.  No additional yardage markoff.

I most certainly understand more difficult fouls but these two are simple enforcements that get missed by rookies, not those officiating a state championship game.  In watching this particular game it looked as if the H & L had to keep the game management under control. 

The crew who worked the Groom vs Throckmorton game did a good job.  R was solid. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:14:02 PM by TXPanhandle »

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
Re: 1A State Championship Game Observation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:41:49 AM »
One thing about the six man game on a 11 man turf field, you must constantly think about he 50 is the 40, and on and on.  Had 2 this year and the "mismarked" field is always there to bite you in the shorts.  Not saying that is an excuse for wrong penalty enforcement but when the 4 is the 14 it can get things a little out of wack.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +42/-9
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »
Cowman, I could see that reasoning if this was about missing a half the distance enforcement. But if the OP is accurate, both of these are spot fouls that the crew mistakenly added yardage to. It doesn't matter if you're at the 4 or 14, you shouldn't be marking any yardage off for Intentional Grounding.  And the same for a DPI 4 yards beyond the LOS. That is never a 15 yard penalty no matter where you are on the field.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
I also noticed and keep in mind when I finally got to watch it was after it became 56-16 but the referee was very blah when describing penalties like he was doing a middle school game or was ready to get out of there. Did not look professional at all in my opinion. Like I said I dont know how he was in the beginning but you half to keep up the intensity throughout the game no matter the score. And no matter how difficult it is. Believe me I know how difficult that is. We just need to work on it on the lesser games so it becomes a habit when we get to that point

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +7/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
Wingman, you are spot on. It was that way the entire game. R was very disinterested in being there. As I mentioned, L & H were much better than R & U.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
Wingman, you are spot on. It was that way the entire game. R was very disinterested in being there. As I mentioned, L & H were much better than R & U.
  Nothing wrong with a Wing Guy outshining those boys in the middle! tiphat:

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +31/-43
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
One thing about the six man game on a 11 man turf field, you must constantly think about he 50 is the 40

This really isn't an issue. I've worked numerous 6 man games on full football fields -- grass and clearly marked turf both -- and always looked to the plastic yardage markers to determine the yard line. Besides, this shouldn't be a concern on the plays the OP brought up.

I watched a first round TAPPS playoff game last year where a third of the fouls (most called correctly as best I could tell) were either mis-enforced (e.g. 1st and 25 for a dead ball foul prior to the ready that almost cost the winning team the game) or mis-marked (6 and 7 yard false start or offsides enforcements).

We've all got to get better at penalty enforcement.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +224/-242
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »
Yep.  That has been an issue statewide this year.  Basic penalty enforcement 101 screw ups.  It may be time to refocus on the basics and spend a little less time on whether the B should stand on the left or right hand side of the kick returner or whether he should or should not have his bean bag in hand. 

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +92/-26
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
Yep.  That has been an issue statewide this year.  Basic penalty enforcement 101 screw ups.  It may be time to refocus on the basics and spend a little less time on whether the B should stand on the left or right hand side of the kick returner or whether he should or should not have his bean bag in hand.

I agree.  We've all experienced so many changes to rule enforcements that sometimes, in the heat of the battle, you have to try and remember which is the latest.  Because of the changes over the years, we should focus on changes not just in this year we are working, but recent changes as well.