Author Topic: Punishment for San Antonio umpire assault  (Read 782 times)

Offline UmpSC

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
Re: Punishment for San Antonio umpire assault
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
I don't understand the need for context explanation here.  It cannot be argued that the hit on Watts was not planned and premeditated.  At the very least the 2 players conspired to do this.  As it applies to the punishment these two should receive, what Watts may or may not have said or calls he may have made during the course of the game are irrelevant. 

Say some audio surfaced of Watts actually saying some of these things.  Does it make what the two kids did any less horrifying?  Nope.  Still a crime and still punishable.  I seem to remember hearing some old cliche about two wrongs not making a right.  Maybe he said these things, maybe he didn't.  We will never know but it should not matter when deciding on a punishment for the players.

Even though it should be irrelevant, we all know it's not.  It's very easy in our highly charged race culture for someone to use racism as a shield for bad behavior.  If you are like me and not a bigot, you need to protect yourself against such claims.  For me, this is why I am opting to wear a body camera during games.  If I'm accused I can say, "OK, here's the video of the game with audio from the camera that I wore.  Find where I used a racial slur."