Author Topic: TASO Points for Spring scrimmages  (Read 4577 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
TASO Points for Spring scrimmages
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »
If you haven't heard TASO in their February Board of Directors meeting has approved earning points for High School Spring scrimmages (intra-scholastic) with a max up to 3 points.  Officials must be assigned to the scrimmage through their chapter assigning authority.  I know that varies chapter to chapter but the intent is to work the official Spring games for schools and not just show up at a normal practice and get points.

The rationale is to help chapters get officials to cover these scrimmages and allow officials to earn some points as well.  FYI. Chapters are allowed per UIL 1204 to bill the school the scrimmage fee as well - in case you didn't know  :)

Offline mobetta285

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
Re: TASO Points for Spring scrimmages
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
Unfortunately, according to TASO, this is not a billable scrimmage for your chapter. Just heard the official word today. Thanks for making me check, though.

Offline bctgp

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Can you please provide more detail specifically why TASO believes this is not billable? Did they provide you a reference to something? The UIL 1204 specifically states what you can charge for a scrimmage and does not explicitly exclude Spring scrimmages. I do not think this is limited by TASO.

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
From 1204 -
(9) Scrimmages. Chapters shall be paid for
scrimmages using the following fee schedule:
Baseball $75.00
Basketball $75.00
Football $125.00
Soccer $75.00
Softball $75.00
Volleyball $75.00
(Fees are based on a three-hour scrimmage.)
NOTE: After three hours, each additional hour is $50 for all sports except football, which is $75 each additional
hour. The fees paid are regardless of the level of competition. The fee will be paid to the local chapter and not to the individual officials, to be used in place of assignment or service fees. A portion of these fees should be used for education, retention and recruitment of officials. Chapters that agree to provide officials and charge for scrimmages are under obligation to provide officials for the school for the entire season, grades 7-12.
A chapter that requests a service/assignor fee from schools will not be a chapter in good standing and thus will not be eligible for post-season assignments.

Offline bctgp

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »
The 1204 section listed confirms chapters can charge for scrimmages per the fee schedule listed - for Football that is $125  (plus more if it goes longer than 3 hours)

Thus, chapters can, and do, charge for scrimmages per the fee schedule shown.  Thanks Ump62

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:42:35 PM by bctgp »

Offline mobetta285

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
I kindly request you to contact Mike Fitch and ask him yourself, and not trust this feed.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
I kindly request you to contact Mike Fitch and ask him yourself, and not trust this feed.

"kindly?"  JB, you're getting soft in your old age. 

Offline bctgp

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Mike's on these forums often and I'm certain he'll chime in here if needed. FYI - limiting this is not in the current TASO Football Operating Procedures or policy(s) based on my scan unless I missed it  :)

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
So, TASO has approved spring scrimmages and reapproved college games. So does that mean college scrimmages can also count? Has this been discussed?

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
So, TASO has approved spring scrimmages and reapproved college games. So does that mean college scrimmages can also count? Has this been discussed?

I was wondering exactly this same question.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline bctgp

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
Per the updated TASO Operating Procedures it states:

Intrascholastic Scrimmages: 1 Point (maximum 3 points)
Note: “Interscholastic Scrimmage” is defined as between two or more High Schools scrimmaging (i.e. intersquad) and “Intrascholastic Scrimmage” is defined as a single High School scrimmaging (i.e. intrasquad)

Based on that no points are allowed for college scrimmages.