Author Topic: Had a brain cramp last night...  (Read 979 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +81/-12
Had a brain cramp last night...
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
Was doing my annual liaison meeting with our school, and he had a question that I was 99.99% sure of the answer, but told him I'd reconfirm.

Late in the game, A is at the A6, and decides to take a safety in the end zone.  They snap the ball to Lefty, the quarterback, who runs around in the end zone for about 10 seconds before stepping out of bounds for the safety.  While Lefty is running around, Bubba (the left tackle) commits a holding foul at the A4 yard line. 

If B accepts the result of the play, it's a safety.  If B accepts the penalty, because it's a running play, the foul is enforced at the end of the run in the end zone, so it's a safety.  The foul does not carry through to the free kick.  Correct?

What if instead, while Lefty is running around, Tugboat, the fullback, commits a holding foul in the end zone?  Same results, right?

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +337/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Had a brain cramp last night...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Right on all counts.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +333/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »
The carry-over provision has never been seriously considered for plays ending in a safety.

A modification to VALJ's play could be :

As lefty, the quarterback, scrambled in the end zone preparing for an intentional safety; the creative side of his brain recalled Michael Jackson's moonwalk that he had just viewed on a MTV rerun. With the Prom Queen and her court just beyond the end line, preformed such followed by a backflip and placed the game ball at the Queen's feet. You make the call :

(1) No harm, no foul..just  ;D and play on;

(2) non-contact treated as a dead ball tacked on to free kick @ K's 10;

(3) non-contact for moonwalk + DOG for not promptly returning ball = kick from 5;

(4) White hat tap dances off the field and leaps into the lap of prom queen's divorced mom/widowed grandma/confused great-grandma.

NOTE : The Cubbie/Red Sox World Series will open in Boston because of All-Star Game victory by AL.

tR:oLl 

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
The carry-over provision has never been seriously considered for plays ending in a safety.

As lefty, the quarterback, scrambled in the end zone preparing for an intentional safety; the creative side of his brain recalled Michael Jackson's moonwalk that he had just viewed on a MTV rerun. With the Prom Queen and her court just beyond the end line, preformed such followed by a backflip and placed the game ball at the Queen's feet. You make the call :

(3) non-contact for moonwalk + DOG for not promptly returning ball = kick from 5;

(4) White hat tap dances off the field and leaps into the lap of prom queen's divorced mom/widowed grandma/confused great-grandma.

NOTE : The Cubbie/Red Sox World Series will open in Boston because of All-Star Game victory by AL.

Gotta say option 4 has my heart, but my head's got #2 here.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
Had a brain cramp last night...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
In my humble but often-wrong opinion, there is no enforcement to be carried over in the op. The foul and the enforcement both end in the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +81/-12
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »

I would love to see number 4, but I think number 2 is the best option.

And MLB finally got rid of the stupid "All Star Game winner gets the home field advantage" this season, thanks God, so the home team is the one with the better record.  This is the first year of the change.  And I actually think that the best thing that could have happened to the Cubs in the big picture last year was not having the home field advantage.  Can you imagine how much more pressure they would have felt if Game 7 were in Wrigley with the whole home crowd putting 108 years worth of crap into the game?