Author Topic: spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.  (Read 615 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +0/-15
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
I need a citation I can point at.  I'm pretty sure I've read this, but then again maybe it was in a dream ...

A is on their own 1 yard line.  They run the ball, and get the ball completely out of the end zone, but when we turn the ball so that the long axis is parallel to the sideline the tail end of the ball breaks the plane of the goalline.  That would be a safety, which was not the result of the play.  So the correct mechanic is to move the ball forward a couple of inches to get it out of the end zone.  In effect giving the offense a couple of inches they did not earn.

Similar situation.  A is on their 1/2 yard line and false starts.  Half the distance to the goalline puts the ball on the 9 inch line, which means 2 inches of the ball are in the end zone.  We can't do that because that is a safety, so again we slide the ball forward to get it out of the end zone.

I know that I have read this somewhere, about spotting the ball outside of the end zone, but I can't find it.  Who can tell me where it is? 

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +106/-4
Re: spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
I don't think you'll find anything specifically in the rule book to address these situations. It's really a common sense thing. I think saying A gets a few inches they didn't earn is a little extreme. All spots are estimates anyway and very likely off by a foot or two in many cases anyway. Don't worry about a couple inches. There are instances where inches can matter (breaking the plane going in, touching out of bounds), but this isn't one of them. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. He got out of the end zone, keep him out on the spot.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »

5.3.4 SITUATION A:

With first and 10 from A's 4-yard line, A1 is tackled and the ball is lying on the 5-inch line with its long axis parallel to the goal line. How is the ball to be spotted?

RULING: The referee will, by rule, rotate and place the ball so that its rear point is not penetrating the plane of A's goal line. The ball is rotated with its rearmost point moved forward just enough so it isn't touching the goal line. A gains a few inches in the process.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +0/-15
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
5.3.4 SITUATION A:

With first and 10 from A's 4-yard line, A1 is tackled and the ball is lying on the 5-inch line with its long axis parallel to the goal line. How is the ball to be spotted?

RULING: The referee will, by rule, rotate and place the ball so that its rear point is not penetrating the plane of A's goal line. The ball is rotated with its rearmost point moved forward just enough so it isn't touching the goal line. A gains a few inches in the process.

tiphat:    Thank you!  I knew I had read this somewhere, but then I got lost in the weeds trying to find it.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Thank you as well, I am just glad we are still discussing high school football!!!