Author Topic: Penalty Options  (Read 397 times)

Offline BetweenTheLines

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Penalty Options
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »
If there are two non-player fouls one by each team on a scoring play who would get the first option on penalty enforcement? Let's say we have both teams outside of their team box and A has a 15-yard violation and B has a 5-yard violation. Who does the Ref ask first? A rule reference in this situation would help. Thanks.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +82/-23
Re: Penalty Options
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Good question, and I don't think it's covered by rule.

Probably the order of occurrence would be when the officials flagged it during live ball action.  If you know that, I would go with that order.

If you don't know the order (which is probably the case), then I guess I would ask the defense first.  Just so that the offense isn't at a huge disadvantage if the defense chooses to enforce on the try.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +381/-27
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »
Good question, and I don't think it's covered by rule.

Probably the order of occurrence would be when the officials flagged it during live ball action.  If you know that, I would go with that order.

If you don't know the order (which is probably the case), then I guess I would ask the defense first.  Just so that the offense isn't at a huge disadvantage if the defense chooses to enforce on the try.
You and I wrote this rule, Bossman, and I guess we didn't think of it, either  :) ! IMHO, where there wasn't matching 15's that would cancel, order of occurrence would apply, but probably wouldn't be known as the fouls occurred on opposite sides of the field. Where the result is a net of 10 on A, I would probably ask B if they wanted the try from the 13 or the kickoff from the 30. This would be applying 1-1-6, as there isn't any rule direction on handling this.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:26:31 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +39/-2
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
You and I wrote this rule, Bossman, and I guess we didn't think of it, either  :) ! IMHO, where there wasn't matching 15's that would cancel, order of occurrence would apply, but probably wouldn't be known as the fouls occurred on opposite sides of the field. Where the result is a net of 10 on A, I would probably ask B if they wanted the try from the 13 or the kickoff from the 50. This would be applying 1-1-6, as there isn't any rule direction on handling this.

The kickoff option would be from the 30, not the 50.... unless B is also electing to kick

Although, this does eliminate A's option for where they want the penalty enforced. Depending on game situation, B might want the KO but A would take half the distance on the try

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +381/-27
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
The kickoff option would be from the 30, not the 50.... unless B is also electing to kick

Although, this does eliminate A's option for where they want the penalty enforced. Depending on game situation, B might want the KO but A would take half the distance on the try
Thanks for the correction, ncwingman, sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm coming or going :o! The order of occurrence application would be mired by not knowing who fouled first and is important when in "half-the- distance" turf (the PAT). IMHO, the simplest enforcement would be to enforce 10 yards against A and move on. This is applying 1-1-6 and another WH might have another solution.