Author Topic: Follow Up on 40/25 Concerns  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +201/-8
Follow Up on 40/25 Concerns
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »
Two of the major concerns raised since the 40/25 was passed were offenses trying to really fast and the safety of the umpire. Having gone through this transition twice I assured people those were constantly brought up in both instances but neither proved to be a concern when the games actually started.

The intent of the 40-second play clock isn't to get the ball spotted as quickly as possible so teams can snap the next play with 30+ seconds left on the play clock. Coaches especially would think they are going to be able to go really fast, but that's not the case in reality. Most of the time they are not able to get their next play called, in formation, and set before 25 seconds unless they are in super hurry-up mode at the end of a half with time running out. The 40-second play clock is more about the end of the play clock than the beginning of the RFP. Are you seeing the same thing in your area?

The other major concern was how the umpire was going to be in harms way almost every play if they weren't super nimble. Related to my observation above, the umpire generally has the ball placed between 28 and 32 on the play clock and the ball isn't snapped until it's under 25 so the umpire has plenty of time to get out of the way. Any issues with umpire safety?

Of course there are going to be exceptions due to delays in getting the ball rotated in or teams trying to really fast at times, but for the most part the two items above are non-issues and definitely much less of a concern than everyone has when transitioning to the 40/25 play clock.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +37/-35
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Follow Up on 40/25 Concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
I agree. I’m eating crow weekly on this issue. If anything, the teams here are using the :40 to go SLOWER. I asked a coach pregame last Friday if he was going to press the :40 and he said “Just the opposite. We are going to milk it.”  And he did. Quickest game we had so far. 2:05 total playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +78/-13
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:17:17 AM »
Biggest issues we've had are PCO and GCO thinking they know what they are doing so they don't need to meet with R prior to the game or they met but didn't understand all or confused the instructions.

Silent wind is throwing some GCO's.

Chain crews have been fine.  Ball boys are what they have been, some good, some bad.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +11/-9
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
I dislike the silent wind. It should be there just to let teams know they can snap the ball and officials are in position (mainly the U). We had a situation where the U and the R had some confusion and A snapped the ball and got a DOG foul. They ended up losing the game.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +90/-34
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
I dislike the silent wind. It should be there just to let teams know they can snap the ball and officials are in position (mainly the U). We had a situation where the U and the R had some confusion and A snapped the ball and got a DOG foul. They ended up losing the game.

In Texas, since we have been using the :40 for a few years now, our teams have gotten used to the silent wind.  They know that we'll stop them if they aren't allowed to snap yet.  Absent us stopping them, they know they can snap at their convenience.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
We haven't had any issues at all.  All of our games have been done without a visible play clock, so our BJ is earning his money and doing a great job.  It doesn't feel like we've had any more (or less) DoG penalties than other years.  One thing I really like is NOT having to decide whether to give them a few extra seconds when teams have mass substitutions to bring in the punt or FG team.  The consistency that all of those who favored this change spoke of is a real benefit.

We've still had one ball boy and two balls from each team every week.  With a 5 man crew, I'm more than ok with that.  Our LJ focuses on getting the balls in and out and our HL focuses on the chains.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +201/-8
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »

Most of the time the game clock is getting wound before the U even puts the ball down so there is not a reason to blow a whistle. It's those tight end of half situations where there very little time and the QB isn't completely clear on how quickly he can snap it. I think a quick whistle there would be extremely helpful. Or some other signal the U can give the QB to let him know he's good to go.

I still prefer a quick toot even with the 40 so everyone knows at least the game clock is going again. My current NCAA R does that as it's optional there. Since I'm not looking at him when I'm going back to place the ball it's nice to know when he's starting it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:23:46 PM by Magician »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +293/-612
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
I dislike the silent wind. It should be there just to let teams know they can snap the ball and officials are in position (mainly the U)..

Agree, the Referee officially designating the precise RFP moment eliminated confusion and worked pretty well for the past 100 years.  It's difficult to see any tangible benefit from this change.  In as much as the addition of the "40 second play clock" has been introduced, ostensibly to promote consistency, this change seems somewhat needlessly counter productive.