Author Topic: I have a new hero  (Read 437 times)

Offline Close to Retiring

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
I have a new hero
« on: October 06, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »
My new hero is NFL FJ Scott Edwards, who just flagged Jason Garrett on national tv. I wish we all the guts to flag those SOBs when it's warranted. Also makes me wish (although it will NEVER happen) the coach's ability to scratch officials would disappear - if they didn't have the power to scratch us, we might be a little bolder in controlling the sideline. In any event - way to go, Scott Edwards!

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +41/-45
Re: I have a new hero
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
My new hero is NFL FJ Scott Edwards, who just flagged Jason Garrett on national tv. I wish we all the guts to flag those SOBs when it's warranted. Also makes me wish (although it will NEVER happen) the coach's ability to scratch officials would disappear - if they didn't have the power to scratch us, we might be a little bolder in controlling the sideline. In any event - way to go, Scott Edwards!

Blanco USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Timer

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
Correct call, but done in a way that brought attention to himself by leaving his feet while throwing the flag as high as he possibly could. Players are penalized for taunting for such an action.  I would have more respect for him if he had maintained a more professional attitude.  His actions are definitely not what I would consider to be “heroic” and something I would want to emulate. 

Offline Close to Retiring

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Correct call, but done in a way that brought attention to himself by leaving his feet while throwing the flag as high as he possibly could. Players are penalized for taunting for such an action.  I would have more respect for him if he had maintained a more professional attitude.  His actions are definitely not what I would consider to be “heroic” and something I would want to emulate.
Timer, I agree with everything you said - there is most definitely a right way and a "maybe you could have done it a little differently" way to handle that situation. The hero comment goes to him having the cajones to make that call, at that time, in that environment. Would we all prefer he had done it a little differently? Absolutely, but I still believe he deserves Kudos for stepping up and doing it.

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +2/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »
I guess he is not Jerry's hero. I just posted last week about when is enough, enough. There is a big difference between cussing in general and cussing specifically at you. Once you make it personal you bought the farm.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/10/06/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-penalty-abusive-language-jerry-jones/3895231002/

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »

I've been officiating almost three decades and have had my fair share of "run-ins" with coaches. While I fully support a flag if a coach derogatorily addresses an official, referring to coaches as "SOBs" (assuming my interpretation is correct), is not appropriate. Shouldn't we be holding ourselves to a higher standard? My 2¢

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +284/-541
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »
. While I fully support a flag if a coach derogatorily addresses an official, referring to coaches as "SOBs" (assuming my interpretation is correct), is not appropriate. Shouldn't we be holding ourselves to a higher standard? My 2¢

I'm not really sure football sidelines are ready for "Politically Correct" restrictions yet, but if, and when they do, they should apply in BOTH directions.