Author Topic: How to handle this?  (Read 348 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
How to handle this?
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
Offensive lineman blocks defensive lineman and DL goes to the ground. OL lays on top of him until the whistle.  This is nowhere near the point of attack and by the time they get to the ground, the play is long gone.

My frustration with this is that Iíve got to keep an eye on them to make sure neither player does something stupid, and now we only have 4 officials watching the other 20 players.

Any advice?  Any rule or case play applicable?  Thanks.

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +61/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: How to handle this?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
About all you can do is talk to the OL and hope he doesnít keep doing it.

I have had the same situation and you do have an official tied up with two players well behind the play but you canít leave them there alone.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +4/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
About all you can do is talk to the OL and hope he doesnít keep doing it.

I have had the same situation and you do have an official tied up with two players well behind the play but you canít leave them there alone.
Ditto.  If you turn your back, rest assured the DL will retaliate.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +41/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »
Back in the 80ís my brother SR year. The linemen should have a contest on how many pancake blocks they could get. They had two rules it had to be seen on film. And #2. Is the defensive player had to be on their back while the offense laid on top of them. This one night my brother strong guard band the strong tackle were neck and neck in the number of pancakes. Towards the end of the game my brother made a block that caused the nose guard to go down on his stomach. Not wanting to lose my brother turn the nose over to his back laid across him and tap the ground 3 time one of the best wwe move I have seen.
Umpire did not think it was too funny. Had a flag for holding and a flag for USC for the count. Needless to say the coaches ended that contest. Best thing the nose got up shook my brothers hand and patted him oh the butt telling him good move
do or do not there is no try

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +2/-19
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
It's been a while, but I have seen this penalized for holding.  Which is just a ridiculous call.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +284/-541
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »
It's been a while, but I have seen this penalized for holding.  Which is just a ridiculous call.

Might not be if the action provokes a response. (USC (NFHS 9-5-a (Baiting or taunting ACTS or words...) 15 yd Offsetting fouls (Succeeding spot NFHS 10-5-b), or if the behavior is repeated after a stern warning.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
from the NCAA rulebook:

3b.  Holding. The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent.

Rookie ref here, but in this context, could you not throw a flag for A either grasping, or encircling, B that impedes him from getting to the ball?  I might warn first time, but after that, would be tempted to flag under the reason listed above. 

Pancake blocks are one thing, but impeding the the opponent from getting off the ground, is another.