Author Topic: Official's conference analogies  (Read 569 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
Official's conference analogies
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:43:54 PM »
This will sound odd...  but hear me out.  I'm developing a talk for work/public speaking and want to include some analogies to officiating. 

Can someone give me a really good, complex example of the conversation you've had in a quick official's conference?  The point I'm trying to make (to the audience) is that when a flag comes out, we don't just huddle together trying to decide whether we're eating at Chili's or Applebee's after the game, but that there is a lot of complexity and piecing together that has to occur, and everyone has a role in that.

This was my first year officiating, and I didn't really have anything that complex come up, that I can think of (except a muffed punt or similar with a foul or two thrown in.)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +79/-71
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Official's conference analogies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »
One of the best examples of the need for a concise conference between officials is the onside kick, when the kicked ball is touched, then loose, then recovered, all the while there is blocking going on all around.  No ONE official can rule on all aspects of this action.  One needs to be able to report WHO first touched the ball and WHERE that touching occurred.  That can affect the legality of blocking by Team A.  Perhaps a flag was thrown for an APPARENT illegal block by A, but, during the discussion, the covering official reports that the ball was first touched by B before it had reached B's restraining line.  The official calling the foul knows that the block occurred after the ball was first touched, but couldn't know who first touched the ball, or exactly where.  After all the facts are known, the block by A is determined to be legal, and the flag is waved off.
That takes a discussion, and takes a few moments.  But, with that, we get it right, and the world continues to spin on its normal axis.

Robert

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:02:10 AM »
That is perfect, thank you!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +288/-573
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
Another example might be the sideline pass, and the differing perspectives and focus of a BJ and Linesman.  Both have responsibility, but each have possibly superior views of equally important factors in determining if the catch was completed. Both possession and completing the catch INBOUNDS are critical components, either of which can determine the correct outcome.

Both officials understanding their specific responsibility, as relates to this specific situation, and confirming their agreement, or disagreement, to each other and personally resolving any disagreement privately BEFORE rendering their joint conclusion, avoids a lot of unnecessary problems and conjecture. 

It underscores the importance, and value, of considering ALL the relevant components, and perspectives, prior to reaching a final determination.   

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +85/-13
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
Two officials with different views of the same play, but one threw a flag and one didn't.  Or one says he has a foul on the A player; the other, the B player.

The B threw a flag for OPI, but the L says that the pass never crossed the LOS.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +85/-33
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
One may have a flag for DPI but a conference reveals the pass was uncatchable or touched.

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +34/-4
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
Another good example is the conversation that, many times, needs to happen to put the pieces together for intentional grounding.  Did the pass cross the line of scrimmage (extended)?  Was there a receiver in the area?  Was the QB still in the tackle box?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +178/-5
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
Similar to RPS is potential OPI. The wing or BJ may have seen the A player blocking downfield before the pass was thrown but has no idea if the pass was caught behind or beyond the LOS. They may need to get that information from the umpire or a LOS official.

Any time there are multiple fouls you need to discuss options and timing if a change of possession was involved.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +412/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 07:36:19 AM »
"Tis far better to talk it over and get it right, then to forget about it until later, and find out you didn't.