Author Topic: 2020 Hub City Football Officials Clinic  (Read 310 times)

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
2020 Hub City Football Officials Clinic
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »
Great opportunity for a clinic in Texas.  Lubbock will be hosting the 5th Annual Hub City Football Officials Clinic. We are pleased to be bringing in some of the finest clinicians in the southwest.  This will be utilizing 8 man mechanics but is open of anyone with any level of experience.  There will be plenty of clinicians there with TASO experience to explain any differences in mechanics. Keeping number of registrations low to maximize snaps.

April 4th, 2020

On the campus of Eastern New Mexico University in Portales.

Host City Hotels will be located in Lubbock, TX

https://eventbrite.com/e/hub-city-football-officials-clinic-tickets-91154418319

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +61/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: 2020 Hub City Football Officials Clinic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
The problem I have with some of theses clinics is they are not relevant to TX high school football. Most of the clinicians have not worked a HS game or 5 or 7 man mechanics in years.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »
 tiphat:
Couple of things to consider

First, every camp is an opportunity to learn. Andy Reid, Eric Bieniemy, Dabo Swinney, Lincoln Riley have not coached high school ball in awhile yet Texas High School coaches take ideas from college/pro coaches all the time.  Unlike other states, UIL uses NCAA rules which makes these camps even more applicable.  80% of the fouls we call are OH, FST, DOF, UNR, UNS, DPI.  If we can get better at recognizing these fouls (which are the same at NCAA level) we only improve for friday nights.  Plus,  how often do we get the chance to have immediate feedback/observation of our work?

Second, all but one of the clinicians are currently or very recently  TASO football mem were.  You might be surprised how many called SV or V games just this past year.

Third, seeing college level snaps can only help you. Seeing snaps at a higher level than what your used to helps slow the game down.   Just like moving from HS to JH.

Lastly, and most importantly.  No camp is perfect.  Our springs should be spent trying to get better. Between geography and the calendar there are only so many learning opportunities. I would encourage any official to seek out ANY camp they can attend.  There quite a few camps across Texas. None are bad, all give you a chance to learn/ pickup something new. There are all different formats. 7v7, inter squad, simulation, mid-week, weekends, local, Regional, National.  They all have their pros and cons.  Every snap you get is a chance to get better.

I only posted here because I am a texas high football official first and want all texas high football officials to be aware of every learning opportunity out there.

Offline Etref

• FAN REACTION: +61/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:10:58 PM »
I agree completely, but many of the camps do not help with HS mechanics

Hope for a good turnout
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
If I wasn't going to be in NOLA that weekend I would absolutely go.  I've not yet attended any camps so have mixed feels about being fish out of water with others way better than me, but am still hoping/planning on attending at least camp and one clinic this spring/summer somewhere.