Author Topic: A question for experienced clock operators or officials  (Read 277 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
A question for experienced clock operators or officials
« on: March 24, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
When do you start the play clock?

I was told two things:

1. As soon as you spot an official give the dead ball signal
2. Count two seconds after the play is dead, then start the play clock

I personally have tried both, with no complaints from any of the crews I worked with.

Just wondering which one is better to go with in the future or if in the grand scheme of things it does not really matter.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +92/-26
Re: A question for experienced clock operators or officials
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »
You can't go wrong counting two seconds then starting it.  I'd say less than two minutes in half and in the game, go a little faster.  In a blowout, wait 3 second and be ready to reset; you don't want any delays.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +79/-71
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
See the signal (hand, incomplete, OB, TD), take a breath, then pause, then flip the switch.  That may be about 2 seconds - maybe a hair less.  Be consistent, but OK to slow down a bit when the outcome is not in any doubt.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +190/-8
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
See the signal (hand, incomplete, OB, TD), take a breath, then pause, then flip the switch.  That may be about 2 seconds - maybe a hair less.  Be consistent, but OK to slow down a bit when the outcome is not in any doubt.

In Indiana you have the incomplete or stop clock signal followed by the dead ball signal. Our state commissioner (who came up with the 40-second clock experiment in the first place) doesn't think our play clock operators can figure out the play clock starts with any dead ball signal. I had hoped when the NFHS finally adopted the rule and used more logic in the mechanics we would get to stop performing the Macarena, but he still makes us do it.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +45/-9
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:40:10 AM »
Well Magician, just be alert for any aircraft on approach who may mistake you for ground crew  ;D

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +292/-597
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »

We share several signals that accomplish what #7 (Stop the Clock) is intended to, #3 (Time Out), #5 (TD), #6 (Safety), #10 (Incomplete Pass).  They all send the same message, and may or may not be given from close proximity to the action.  Looking for, and being alert to any/all of these signals, followed by a momentary, consistent, confirming pause sounds logical and appropriate.