Author Topic: NCAA Canadian rule differences,,  (Read 3568 times)

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
NCAA Canadian rule differences,,
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
Hello,
 I will be offciating a men's game between a team from the US and one from NB this weekend - here they refer to themselves as a semi-pro team but it's really just an adult men's football league. The game is in the states and the home team basically uses NCAA rules for their regular season games. I have been told they will be using twelve players to a side and will be allowing motion toward the LOS. I am hoping you gents can point out any other issues that may arise so they can be addressed before game time. Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
Re: NCAA Canadian rule differences,,
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
As you know, we play with 12 per side.  So 6 in the backfield means too many men, or illegal formation.  :)

In addition to permitting motion to the LS, we also allow multiple shifts/players in motion.  But the instructions given to you about rules for this game would clarify that point.

Canadian players are accustomed to only jamming 1 yard past the LS.  So if a US player jams 2-5 yards downfield, expect some questions at the least.  > 5 yards and you'd better throw the flag!  :P

Um... what else?   Preventing a WR from getting to the target area is also PI in Canada.

If I think of more, I'll come back.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:51:47 PM by JugglingReferee »

Offline Livin' in the pit

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
Yer handling Saint John, eh?

Big thing might be that the Canadian players don't recognize a fair catch signal. We don't have such a beast.
We're also used to balls being live on all kickoffs.

Penalty application may throw a few folks off, too.

Anorak

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
Hello,
 I will be offciating a men's game between a team from the US and one from NB this weekend - here they refer to themselves as a semi-pro team but it's really just an adult men's football league. The game is in the states and the home team basically uses NCAA rules for their regular season games. I have been told they will be using twelve players to a side and will be allowing motion toward the LOS. I am hoping you gents can point out any other issues that may arise so they can be addressed before game time. Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Here are some of the bigger ones that I recall:

- 3 downs vs. 4. This will presumably be told to you before the game. The NB team may play 4 downs anyways, so it may not be an issue.
- In Canada the neutral zone is one yard from the front of the ball.
- Re: Offside. If the defence jumps into the zone, they can get back. If they cross the line of scrimmage, it's a whistle and flag (the equivalent to encroachment, although we still call it offside).

- The returner a punt (or missed FG) has a 5-yard halo in which to recover the ball. It still applies even if the kick bounces. If the kicking team is in that zone the penalty is either 5 yards (if the ball bounced, the player was trying to get out and didn't affect the play) or 15 yards (any other case, including touching the ball first). The penalty is applied from the point the ball was touched.
- The "halo" rule does not apply to kickoffs.
- The kicker (or anyone behind him at the time of the kick - this is rare) is allowed to recover his own punt. The "halo" rule doesn't apply to him.
- Kickoffs are live balls, anybody can recover and advance them.
- Kicks into the end zone are still live. If they are not brought out of the end zone, the kicking team scores one point, and the receiving team gets the ball on the 35.
- There is no such thing as a "muff". If a team recovers the ball, they can always advance it.
- A fumble through the end zone (assuming it goes straight through without being touched) goes back to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble. (Not sure what the NCAA rule is, but I know that's a touchback in the NFL.)
- The last team to touch (not possess) a fumble that goes out of bounds in the field of play gets the ball. This applies to kickoffs, as well.
- Contacting the kicker is a 10-yard penalty (not 5), but not an automatically a first down. Roughing the kicker is still 15 yards.
- A kickoff out of bounds gives A the ball at either the out of bounds spot, or 25 yards ahead of the kickoff spot.
- Kickoffs are normally from the 45 (i.e. 10 yards back from midfield).

Penalty application:
- The usual spots for application are the previous spot, the succeeding spot and the point the ball was when the ball was held (PBH).
- Fouls don't "offset." If there is Holding by A, and Offside by B, you repeat the down 5 yards back. (10 - 5 = 5)
- On a long run, if a foul happens after the team gained first down yardage, then the penalty is applied at PBH but it's 1st and 10. (NCAA, I think, only gives the first down if the yardage is made after the application). Ex: A 1D & 10 at the A30. A runs for 20 yards, but holds at the A45. It would be A 1D & 10 at the A35.
- PSK enforcement: if the ball is in the air, apply from the point possession was gained. If it was in somebody's possession, apply it from PBH. Once a kick has crossed the line of scrimmage, the previous spot is not an option (except for Roughing or Contacting the kicker).
- Unsportsmanlike conduct is always dead-ball, and always applied last.
- A "personal foul" can generally be applied from the previous spot or the succeeding spot, whichever is to the advantage of the non-offending team. If it's on a play where you would use PBH, that replaces the previous spot as an option. If it's dead ball, then it can only be from the succeeding spot. Personal fouls are also not yardage-restricted, so Roughing the Passer from the B16 would put the ball on the B1. (This was new last year.) This applies both ways.
- A disqualification is a 25-yard penalty. I think I've had one in the last three years.
- DPI by B is a spot

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
Gentlemen,
  Thank you for the help. All went well.

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-14
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
go bc lions:bOW  CFL ball is fun to watch--maybe versus can start getting games in US for us to watch

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
> 5 yards and you'd better through the flag!  :P

I am way late to this party but Juggles, I think you're thinking of the NFL rule, not the NCAA rule.  ;)