Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Ineligible downfield POE
« Last post by KWH on Yesterday at 09:38:19 PM »
I don't see anything in the POE phrasing that indicates the ID player can "get back", implied or otherwise.

See CASEBOOK 7.5.12 SITUATION A

This play clarifies the rule, the interpretation and should remove any and all doubt
NCAA Discussion / Re: Fate of the Big 12
« Last post by InsideTheStripes on Yesterday at 05:49:42 PM »
Completely agree. The only (partial) solution that I've ever thought of, is for the NFL/NBA/MLB to 1) require rookies to have a college degree (but then we get players with BA in underwater basket weaving, but it's something, at least), or, 2) by pretty much following the model of businesses everywhere in that players with degrees are paid more, and are eligible for higher salaries/contracts.  This obviously would complicate salary caps, etc but IMO the NFL/NBA/MLB has a role in fixing this, since they are the sole beneficiary of college athletics beyond the college years.

Those are bad solutions.

(1) The degree requirement would get struck down by the courts.
(2) I don't think you understand how business works... (non-union) employers pay on value, not credentials.
National Federation Discussion / Re: 10-4-2 Revisited
« Last post by refjeff on Yesterday at 04:50:31 PM »
KCI is enforced from the spot of the foul (end of the kick). If K commits KCI but R still gains possession and then advances 20 yards, their options are to take the penalty kick + 15, or result of the play kick + 20 on the return. They have to decide if the return was greater than the penalty yardage (and awarded free kick?) or not.

If the exception applied to KCI, they'd get a third option, kick + 20 on the return + 15 for the penalty, which is excessive and therefore not allowed.

KCI is enforced from the previous spot or the spot of the foul, not the end of the
kick.
NCAA Discussion / Re: S/B Quiz 4
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 02:31:28 PM »

3.   1/10 @ A-40. End A81 is split far to the left of the formation, to the outside of defensive end B89. On a sweep play in B89’s direction, the defender moves to his left to focus on the ball carrier, losing sight of A81. A81 then cuts to the inside, takes aim and launches at B89, forcibly contacting him with his forearm to B89’s neck at the A-42. The runner gains 12 yards on the play.
RULING:
B, 1/23, A-27, ready (25). “Illegal blindside block with Targeting; number 81; offense. That’s a 15-yard penalty; repeat 2nd down. The previous down is under further review.” “After further review, the ruling on the field is confirmed.”
Illegal blindside block WITH 9-1-4 targeting by A81. Per 3 and 1 principle, the penalty is enforced at the spot of the foul (A-42).

Repeat first down or second down?  You have both...

Probably let my eye get distracted by something, and typed the wrong thing in the announcement. Obviously, if we are repeating the down, the next down will be first down, as indicated in the ruling.
Thanks.
NCAA Discussion / Re: S/B Quiz 4
« Last post by dammitbobby on Yesterday at 02:13:15 PM »

3.   1/10 @ A-40. End A81 is split far to the left of the formation, to the outside of defensive end B89. On a sweep play in B89’s direction, the defender moves to his left to focus on the ball carrier, losing sight of A81. A81 then cuts to the inside, takes aim and launches at B89, forcibly contacting him with his forearm to B89’s neck at the A-42. The runner gains 12 yards on the play.
RULING:
B, 1/23, A-27, ready (25). “Illegal blindside block with Targeting; number 81; offense. That’s a 15-yard penalty; repeat 2nd down. The previous down is under further review.” “After further review, the ruling on the field is confirmed.”
Illegal blindside block WITH 9-1-4 targeting by A81. Per 3 and 1 principle, the penalty is enforced at the spot of the foul (A-42).

Repeat first down or second down?  You have both...
General Discussion / Re: Hyaluronic acid injections for the knee
« Last post by HLinNC on Yesterday at 01:57:36 PM »
Good points.

« Last post by Etref on Yesterday at 01:24:51 PM »
Which is why I retired from the field. I didn’t want to be “one of those guys”

We all have to make the decision at some point. Had one knee replaced and doc said that if I did officiate it would shorten the life of the replacement. Didn’t want to go through it again in 5-7 years so I retired.

Still miss it but less each season. However, I do not mis the long hours, meetings, clinics, sub varsity couple times a week. But do miss Fridays.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Legal motion or unfair act?
« Last post by CalhounLJ on Yesterday at 01:00:32 PM »
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by HLinNC on Yesterday at 11:48:05 AM »
I have the 3 shot series every 6 months or so. I am retired from the field and normal activities are great. I can’t say what they would be with the constant pounding of running up and down the field

I honestly think we're just trying to forestall TKR.  Three years ago at age 55 I said that if I could get 10 more years in I would be happy. I've never thought I'd be one of those guys in their 70's still working on the field.  Arthroscopy on my left knee two years ago and now this on my right has me beginning to wonder if I'll get there.  One of our white hats was promoted as our new RSO and I have been looking forward to working for him.

I went to watch my local HS play a 7v7 yesterday and I decided to sit up near the press box in the shade.  Going up was no problem.  Coming down had me believing it was going to be pretty embarrassing if I had to ask if some of the team would help me get down.  I eventually made it down but there were a couple of stops where I would have begged for an on scene cortisone shot.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Ineligible downfield POE
« Last post by HLinNC on Yesterday at 11:32:29 AM »
 The POE on pg 96 includes this sentence: "The position of the ineligible Team A player at the moment of the legal pass is the primary factor in determining if the player is illegally downfield" and this: ".....it is important to make sure that the Team A player is clearly beyond the ENZ (2 yards) at the moment the pass is in flight".

Most U's I know will fudge them an extra yard to make sure he's clearly beyond.

I don't think the intent of the POE was to be too technical on this call but to NOT be and the aftermath of their last clarification.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10