Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Weird substitution plays
« Last post by HLinNC on July 27, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »
No, the play would have to be let go but under my hypothesis, you couldn't flag them for the DB Illegal Sub unless you deemed they had communicated because none of the other 3 events happened either
National Federation Discussion / Re: NFHS Redding SG Question
« Last post by HLinNC on July 27, 2021, 07:18:28 PM »
I have my 2017 guide and its the same question and answer then too.

George Demetriou's e-mail address is on the inside of the cover page.  Drop him a line and see what he says.
National Federation Discussion / NFHS Redding SG Question
« Last post by GAREF59 on July 27, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »
On p.111 of the 2020 Redding Study Guide I have a question about review question #40, which reads:  "When his team is in scrimmage-kick formation, the snapper is given special protection from a direct charge by an opponent until the snapper blocks or further participates in the play."  This statement is almost word for word from the rule book (2-32-14), so I don't understand why the answer key gives the correct answer as FALSE.  Am I missing something?  Is there a misprint?  Any help appreciated!
« Last post by CalhounLJ on July 27, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »
Thus is why I lean towards IP and commented that I'm not sure they ever became a "player" by definition.

1. is open to question, I admit.  2.-4. never happened in the video.
I see your logic. The problem I have with IP is the ball never became live. Can you have IP dead ball? Iím trending toward illegal substitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'...no person... may receive any wage or other form of compensation in exchange or consideration for such person's participation in any form of individual or team athletic or sporting competition'

That doesn't address NIL, since it's not (IMO) directly tied to their participation in a sport, as evidenced by the link showing the high school prep kid who's going to profit off NIL even before he gets to step foot on a college court.
If he/she hasnít participated in any sporting completion, how would he/she have any marketing value? Iím not targeting only college sports. Iím targeting anything. We need to let kids grow up and get an education before they get lost in the world of professional sports. 22 is plenty young to start a professional career. Let schools give scholarships. That is plenty of compensation for playing collegiate sports. Weíre making millionaires out of kids that have no clue how to deal with it. Let Ďem get an education, so those that donít make it in the pros can contribute to society afterward.

And there's certainly an argument to be had that given that D1 college revenues are almost wholly derived from collegiate athletics, particularly football and basketball,  that the athletes actually working and competing deserve to have the tiniest of slivers of that ginormous pie.
'...no person... may receive any wage or other form of compensation in exchange or consideration for such person's participation in any form of individual or team athletic or sporting competition'

That doesn't address NIL, since it's not (IMO) directly tied to their participation in a sport, as evidenced by the link showing the high school prep kid who's going to profit off NIL even before he gets to step foot on a college court.

And there's certainly an argument to be had that given that D1 college revenues are almost wholly derived from collegiate athletics, particularly football and basketball,  that the athletes actually working and competing deserve to have the tiniest of slivers of that ginormous pie. 
Here is how I would fix the Amateur athletics crisis in the United States:
 ----------------
The 28th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America
Other than the exceptions listed hereafter, no person within these United States of America, including all of its territories, possessions, and foreign embassies (hereafter "United States") having not attained the natural age of 22 years, may receive any wage or other form of compensation in exchange or consideration for such person's participation in any form of individual or team athletic or sporting competition.
This law shall apply to all persons within these United States of America, including all of its territories, possessions, and foreign embassies (hereafter "United States"), be they citizens, non-citizen residents of these United States, or visitors to these United States.
EXCEPTIONS:
1) A person having not attained the natural age of 22 years may compensated for the cost of tuition, fees, books, housing, and incidentals commonly known and understood within these United States in the year 2021, and provided to any recipient of any form of scholarship by any institution of education, public or private, within these United States, unless such person has earned and received an undergraduate degree from any institution of higher education, domestic or foreign, such institution approved by the Congress of these United States to offer and issue such degrees.
2) A person having not attained the natural age of 22 years, being qualified and selected to participate in training, preparation, and participation in the Olympic Games or other international athletic or sporting competition by a governing body authorized by the Congress of these United States, may be be compensated for all direct costs of such training and preparation for, and participation in, such competition, and may receive a stipend for such training, preparation, and participation, as may be established by the Congress of these United States.
---------------

Now, I just need a Congressman to introduce this Amendment, and get the states to ratify. What are the odds?
« Last post by HLinNC on July 27, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
Looking at the definition of when a sub becomes a player, we find a list of options:
(1) When he enters the field and communicates...
(2) When he enters the huddle
(3) Is positioned in a formation
(4) Participates in the play.

Thus is why I lean towards IP and commented that I'm not sure they ever became a "player" by definition.

1. is open to question, I admit.  2.-4. never happened in the video.
1.  The location of the ball is no longer a material part of the rule

For BBW yes, for BIB no.

4.  Meaning that to be legal the BBW must be against a player directly in front of, or just to either side of the blocker

With the caveat that if the tackle or TE is at the edge of the zone, his opponent on his outside could be out of the zone.
The link I provided is based on the NFHS PowerPoint as edited by the NC office.  As with any other rule change, do as your state tells you.

So based on this PowerPoint presentation NC's take on BBW for 2021 is that:

1.  The location of the ball is no longer a material part of the rule
2.  All BBW initiators must be inside the zone and on the LOS at the snap
3.  All BBW blocks must be initiated immediately at the snap with no delay of any kind
4.  Meaning that to be legal the BBW must be against a player directly in front of, or just to either side of the blocker 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10