Author Topic: B Penalty on Last Play of Game Which Caused a Tie  (Read 6949 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
B Penalty on Last Play of Game Which Caused a Tie
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
B facemasks on the successful PAT which resulted in a tie game with no time on the clock.  Can A take the penalty in overtime?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: B Penalty on Last Play of Game Which Caused a Tie
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »
All this is specifically spelled out in 8-2.

To answer your question, yes. a foul by the opponents of the scoring team on a successful try can be enforced at the succeeding spot, which in the case you presented, would be the first play in overtime.

The differences between touchdown scoring plays and try's/field goals are spelled out and specifically worded for a reason.

On touchdowns when time has expired, there is no way to know whether there will be overtime until the try is attempted. Therefore the rulesmakers wisely stated that these fouls can only be taken on the KICKOFF, as opposed to the succeeding spot.

On Try's and field goals, these plays can easily result in a tied game at the conclusion, and so the rulesmakers (once again, wisely) determined fouls during these downs could be enforced from the SUCCEEDING SPOT. Because there will be a succeeding spot (either a kickoff or overtime) in the vast majority of situations. The only situation where that's not the case is a try that actually wins the game on the last play. In that case, the foul would be declined, and the game is over.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:09:25 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »
Calhoun thanks for that post. While I knew the rule, understanding the “why” makes it much easier to remember.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
Calhoun thanks for that post. While I knew the rule, understanding the “why” makes it much easier to remember.
Same here. If I ever get the why down, a rule is much easier to remember and enforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
All this is specifically spelled out in 8-2.

On touchdowns when time has expired, there is no way to know whether there will be overtime until the try is attempted. Therefore the rulesmakers wisely stated that these fouls can only be taken on the KICKOFF, as opposed to the succeeding spot.

Calhoun:
Did you mean to type PAT instead of kickoff?   ???

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 06:09:28 PM »
Calhoun:
No I meant Kickoff. I probably should have added that the scoring team has the option to take the penalty on the PAT or the KICKOFF. But my post was referencing the differences in those plays that allow only kickoff enforcement versus those that say succeeding spot.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
Calhoun:
I see the problem. It is true that in a td scoring play with no time, the only option is the PAT because there will be no kickoff. But this is still the reason for the wording. If the td scoring rule read SUCCEEDING spot, then there would be no option to take it on the kickoff, because the succeeding spot on a td scoring play will always be the PAT.

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »
I just came across this thread and need to point out that you can not have a "Carryover" Foul, as defined by 8-2-2,3, & 4, enforced on the first play of Overtime when the foul in question occurred on the last play of the 4th quarter. Only a Dead Ball Foul or Succeeding Spot Foul that occurred during the last play or after it can be enforced on the first play of Overtime. There is no way a live ball foul, such as a face mask foul, can be enforced on the last play of regulation into Overtime, or on a Try into Overtime.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »
I disagree. A face mask foul by the defense on a successful field goal or try to end regulation can be enforced in overtime.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 05:03:51 AM »
8-2-5

ART. 5 ... If during a successful try, a foul by B occurs, A is given the choice of:

a. Accepting the penalty and replaying the down following enforcement; or

b. Accepting the result of the play and enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 05:04:54 AM »
If the try ties the game, the succeeding spot will be the first possession in overtime, provided the game has an overtime.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:24 AM »
8-4 ART. 3 ... If during a successful field goal, a foul by R occurs, K is given the choice of:

b. Accepting the result of the play and enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

Same way here. If the live ball foul ties the game the succeeding spot will be overtime.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 05:10:28 AM »
3.1.1 SITUATION F:

The fourth period ends during a scoring play. During the successful 2-point try, B9 is called for pass interference. A accepts the result of the play, which ties the score and chooses to have the penalty assessed at the succeeding spot. Ruling: This is correct. Since A, by rule, can choose succeeding spot enforcement, and the try was successful, A will likely take enforcement at the succeeding spot to begin overtime. Game officials must be certain to explain the options clearly, not only during penalty administration, but also during the overtime coin toss.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 07:49:02 AM »
3.1.1 SITUATION F:

The fourth period ends during a scoring play. During the successful 2-point try, B9 is called for pass interference. A accepts the result of the play, which ties the score and chooses to have the penalty assessed at the succeeding spot. Ruling: This is correct. Since A, by rule, can choose succeeding spot enforcement, and the try was successful, A will likely take enforcement at the succeeding spot to begin overtime. Game officials must be certain to explain the options clearly, not only during penalty administration, but also during the overtime coin toss.

Where in the rules is defensive pass interference described as having a "succeeding spot" enforcement option?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »
Where in the rules is defensive pass interference described as having a "succeeding spot" enforcement option?

Right here:
8-2-5

ART. 5 ... If during a successful try, a foul by B occurs, A is given the choice of:

*Note: It's not just pass interference. It's any live ball foul by B during a successful try.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 08:22:17 AM »
3.1.1 SITUATION F:

When would A not take the penalty in OT?

Also, what is the rationale for bridging live ball fouls such as this to the next half or OT?  I can certainly agree with bridging DB or USC fouls, but not garden-variety fouls such as DPI, FM, etc.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:39 AM »

Also, what is the rationale for bridging live ball fouls such as this to the next half or OT?  I can certainly agree with bridging DB or USC fouls, but not garden-variety fouls such as DPI, FM, etc.

Yes. A WILL take the penalty in overtime. That's the point of the casebook play, which BTW, is straight out of the 2020 book. As to why this is true, you will have to ask the rulemakers. As we say, "I don't make 'em, I just enforce 'em."

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »

Probably easier than listing out all fouls by the defense that they can carry over.  Just let them carry everything over.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 11:23:08 AM »
Probably easier than listing out all fouls by the defense that they can carry over.  Just let them carry everything over.

It would seem logical that in situations, where a successful PAT would crate a tie came, requiring OT, removal of consequences for ANY live ball foul, that may likely reduce the probability of the PAT being successful, would inadvertently encourage fouling if necessary to preventing the PAT from being successful.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »
It would seem logical that in situations, where a successful PAT would crate a tie came, requiring OT, removal of consequences for ANY live ball foul, that may likely reduce the probability of the PAT being successful, would inadvertently encourage fouling if necessary to preventing the PAT from being successful.
Agree. This seems logical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 01:01:41 PM »
When the Fed revamped rule 8, the philosophy was that B (or the opponent of the scoring team in the event of a turnover) should not get a "free shot" for committing a foul on a scoring play. DPI was the prime example when a receiver managed to catch the ball and score.

Personally, I think it is overblown at this point and I would favor changing it to only live ball personal fouls "bridging" over from a scoring play and go back to A having to decline other live ball fouls by B.   If a receiver manages to score in spite of DPI, was that really a "free shot" at A?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 01:08:43 PM »
Since we are confessing, I agree. I have never liked the idea of the scoring team getting the points and the penalty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 08:21:14 AM »
If the try ties the game, the succeeding spot will be the first possession in overtime, provided the game has an overtime.

Excellent responses, Calhoun, we should also explain to both coaches the potential of winning the toss. To A's coach; "If you win the toss, you can choose to go on offense from B's 5 OR go on defense with the ball @ the 25...". DON'T LET IT BE A SURPRISE AFTER THE TOSS !

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
I agree Ralph. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
When the Fed revamped rule 8, ...........

For today's trivia question when did the Fed actually revamp rule 8 such that the carryover applied universally?
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel