Author Topic: Offensive Holding On A Punt  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Zaneite

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Offensive Holding On A Punt
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
I’ve got a simple question regarding NFL rules.  Seattle is 4th and 7 from its own 20.  As the Seattle punter kicks a flag is thrown.  Dallas returns the punt to its own 30.  The penalty is offensive holding.  How is the penalty assessed?  Thank you for putting up with such a basic question.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Offensive Holding On A Punt
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:04 AM »
This really should be moved to the NFL forum but: Dallas has the choice of having Seattle rekick from the Seattle 10 or take the ball at the Dallas 40 (or well, they can also decline, but will not).

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
I’ve got a simple question regarding NFL rules.  Seattle is 4th and 7 from its own 20.  As the Seattle punter kicks a flag is thrown.  Dallas returns the punt to its own 30.  The penalty is offensive holding.  How is the penalty assessed?  Thank you for putting up with such a basic question.

Depends on which team the foul was on.
If Seattle held, it's either enforced at the previous spot with the down replayed or it can be tacked on to the end of the return at the 30 at the choice of Dallas.
If Dallas held during the kick, the enforcement is from where the kick ended (where the punt was caught).

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I guess since the topic was offensive holding during a punt we all assumed it was on Seattle since they were “A”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »
If the foul will be enforced as a PSK foul, holding by the receiving team is offensive holding since they are treated as the team in possession.