Author Topic: Any More Rule Changes?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline BetweenTheLines

• FAN REACTION: +10/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Any More Rule Changes?
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:05:00 AM »
Does anyone know if there will be anything else coming out besides the low block changes?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Any More Rule Changes?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 07:47:11 AM »
That's the only rule change this year. Normally we vote on 40-50 proposals per year. This was NOT a normal year and only 8 were proposed with the BBW modification being the only one that passed. As always, there will 3 new POEs but I haven't been advised as to what they will be.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »

Confucius say: The three POE's from 2020 will remain the POE's for 2021,  however, they will be enhanced, clarified and expanded upon!!!

And remember...
As that famous Chinese spokesman "Kung Foo" once said, "Never argue with Confucius!"   :!#
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 07:06:41 AM »
That's the only rule change this year. Normally we vote on 40-50 proposals per year. This was NOT a normal year and only 8 were proposed with the BBW modification being the only one that passed. As always, there will 3 new POEs but I haven't been advised as to what they will be.

How about editorial changes?  Seems like this would have been a good year to clean up a lot of the errors and ambiguities in the books.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 09:40:04 AM »
How about editorial changes?  Seems like this would have been a good year to clean up a lot of the errors and ambiguities in the books.
The Editorial Committee handles editorial changes and am not on or privy to that.

Offline KWH

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »

Can you provide an error or ambiguity example?

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline BetweenTheLines

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
 This may fall under the term ambiguous: This was tossed around last year here, 6-2-5. The right of R to take the (ball at spot) of first touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.
First of all, ball at spot is terrible English. Secondly and primarily, what if there is an accepted penalty for sideline with contact interference, (9-4-8) or some other penalty treated as a  dead ball foul (unsportsmanlike)? The rule states ANY. Somehow fouls during the down treated as dead ball fouls need to be excluded. Please excuse my English!!!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 03:50:47 PM »
This may fall under the term ambiguous: This was tossed around last year here, 6-2-5. The right of R to take the (ball at spot) of first touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.
First of all, ball at spot is terrible English. Secondly and primarily, what if there is an accepted penalty for sideline with contact interference, (9-4-8) or some other penalty treated as a  dead ball foul (unsportsmanlike)? The rule states ANY. Somehow fouls during the down treated as dead ball fouls need to be excluded. Please excuse my English!!!

NFHS 6-2-5 states, "The right of R to take the ball at the spot of first touching by K is cancelled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty is accepted for any foul committed during the down.", suggesting the reference is to "live ball fouls", alone.

Online GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »

Guys:
Here is a link to the POEs posted on the GHSA web site.  I do not know if they match the NFHS POEs. 

https://www.ghsa.net/2021-football-season-points-emphasis-details

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
I’m not sure these fouls need to be excluded. R still has the opportunity to decide whether to take the ball at the spot of first touching or the penalty, whichever is better, same as with any old ordinary live ball foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 08:26:13 PM »
Guys:
Here is a link to the POEs posted on the GHSA web site.  I do not know if they match the NFHS POEs. 

Thank you for the link to the 2021 NFHS POE details.  I don't see anything dramatically new in the 2021 comments.  They simply underscore what has, or at least has long been effective procedures, but serve to codify what have been somewhat common misbehaviors  that been considered consequential as determined by the severity of, and specific situation related to each infraction, as determined by the covering official.

Football remains a hotly contested physical challenge that MUST remain subject to overall sportsmanship, civility and respect among ALL participants, in all circumstances worthy of periodic reminders.

Offline BetweenTheLines

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:05 AM »
 So K punts and first touches the ball and then R picks up the ball and subsequently fumbles and K ends up with it. During the play R had committed a non player foul as described (sideline interference with contact). Soooo R will not get the ball. Is that correct?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
Correct. But they don't deserve it because they fouled. A foul trumps first touching. As it should be.

Offline BetweenTheLines

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 08:03:04 AM »
I should rearrange the previous case play to state they fouled after R touched it.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »
in that case first touching goes away because R is the one who committed the foul after touching the ball. Same result. It's not K's fault R fouled.
"first touching by K is canceled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul"

Offline KWH

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 12:23:24 PM »
Guys:

Uh, Sorry but These are NOT the NFHS POE's! Rather, This was something coined in Georgia!
This directs the reader to believe that ANY violation of 9-8 is charged to the Head Coach.
If you read 9-8 Penalty section,  please note the only fouls that are charged directly to the Head Coach (which were not committed by the Head Coach) are Arts. 1g, 1h, 1k and 3
Any and all other fouls are charged directly to the offending individual and NOT the Head Coach.

The rule which charged everything to the head coach changed over twenty some years ago allowing us to punish the offending individual rather than the Head Coach.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 03:53:13 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 06:40:23 AM »
Uh, Sorry but These are NOT the NFHS POE's! Rather, This was something coined in Georgia!
This directs the reader to believe that ANY violation of 9-8 is charged to the Head Coach.
If you read 9-8 Penalty section,  please note the only fouls that are charged directly to the Head Coach (which were not committed by the Head Coach) are Arts. 1g, 1h, 1k and 3
Any and all other fouls are charged directly to the offending individual and NOT the Head Coach.

The rule charged everything to the head coach changed over twenty some years ago allowing us to punish the offending individual rather than the Head Coach.
Retweet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk