Author Topic: Run doesn't count?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Run doesn't count?
« on: June 01, 2021, 04:25:48 PM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this already...and it's pretty funny.  But, if they had eventually thrown the ball to first base before the running got there (force out), the run would not have counted, right?

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1397966525508816899?s=21

Online GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: Run doesn't count?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm sure most of you have seen this already...and it's pretty funny.  But, if they had eventually thrown the ball to first base before the running got there (force out), the run would not have counted, right?

Correct.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »
A rundown between home and first should never happen.  Someone would be losing their job at first base.  Little leaguers are expected to not mess that up.  These are professionals.   :puke:

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 04:45:02 AM »
I believe the MLB rule on retreating back toward home is that you can get to it but not beyond it - note the batter/runner stopped just before he got to the plate  :o ! I agree with Jason, you might see this is little league or T-ball but not here. Great post, Carol  aWaRd .

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 06:27:23 AM »

That’s right. With two outs, no runs score if the batter/runner is retired before he reaches first base.  It doesn't matter if it’s via a tag or a throw.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 08:57:20 AM »
A rundown between home and first should never happen.  Someone would be losing their job at first base.  Little leaguers are expected to not mess that up.  These are professionals.   :puke:

I believe the MLB rule on retreating back toward home is that you can get to it but not beyond it - note the batter/runner stopped just before he got to the plate  :o ! I agree with Jason, you might see this is little league or T-ball but not here. Great post, Carol  aWaRd .

I'm with you guys on this.  I'm not sure what the first baseman was thinking (I'm guessing he wasn't thinking at all).  I hope that play didn't cost them the game.   cRaZy

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
Had a 10-year career in baseball ('78-'87). Been a long, long time, but I attended the Bill Kinnamon Umpire's School in 1980, and worked one summer of MLB associated minor league baseball in Florida (Gulf Coast League). As I recall, if a batter-runner reverses his path of travel between home plate and first base while a play is being made on him, he is out immediately (no tag required). The reason is that he has nowhere to go but to first base, to be safe. So, this is just like running outside his base path to avoid a tag.
I have no idea what level of game this was, but, if they were playing professional rules, the BR should have been ruled out VERY VISIBLY AND EMPHATICALLY, removing force plays on runners, and freeing the defense to make plays on runners.
I worked NF and NCAA baseball after that, and I don't recall if their rules were the same, but I would think they would be.
We can't help the defense make throws, though. Probably won't see any of those guys in the 'bigs.'

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 11:16:44 AM »
NFHS 8-4-2n : Any runner is out when he runs bases in reverse order to confuse opponents or to make a travesty of the game.
Unsure about the other codes. While he certainly confused the opponents, it would sorta' seem similar to a grounder to the 2ndbaseman with R @ 1. He could chase the runner back to first although once he reached 1st ,with the batter-runner already there, he could be tagged out on a force.

As a youngster in the '50,s my favorite player was the Red Sox's Jimmy Piersall, who was an all-star CF from the eyebrows down . The first game I saw on TV (a black & white w/rabbitt-ears) had Piersall running at 3rd with the bases loaded. A weak hitting catcher ,named Sammy White, HIT A GRAND SLAM  yEs: ! Piersall wouldn't run until the other 3 runners came up behind him  ::) ::) ::) (if you pass a lead runner you're out). Piersall then pretended to be a drum-major leading the parade to home  tR:oLl :- ::) ::) :-[ In his next at-bat he was hit by the first pitch-I'm sure it slipped  :P. A couple of years later ,he celebrated hitting his 100th homer by walking backwards around the bases, I believe his next AB also resulted in HBP. If you care to learn more about my childhood hero, watch the movie : Fear Strikes Out, staring Anthony Perkins.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:21:16 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »
watch the movie : Fear Strikes Out, staring Anthony Perkins.

Perkins made a habit - and a living - outta playing psychos. (See what I did there? Reee! Reee! Reee! Reee!)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 05:45:53 AM »
As I recall, if a batter-runner reverses his path of travel between home plate and first base while a play is being made on him, he is out immediately (no tag required).

Not the current MLB rule.  The B/R is out if he touches or passes home plate.  That didn’t happen here.

Nor would the quoted NFHS rule apply. The defense wasn’t confused — they were attempting to put out a runner.  And simply reversing your path between bases certainly isn’t making a travesty of the game.

This was simply a case of cranial flatulence on the part of the first baseman, after a bad throw by the third baseman that started this whole fiasco.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 09:46:39 PM »
This particular team can't do anything right.  Dude hit a solo shot home run.... And still was called out.  While he was taking a gander at his wonderfully hit ball, he failed to touch first base.  Opposing team appeals and won the appeal.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:52 AM »
This particular team can't do anything right.  Dude hit a solo shot home run.... And still was called out.  While he was taking a gander at his wonderfully hit ball, he failed to touch first base.  Opposing team appeals and won the appeal.
My fav was a "grand-slam single" by former Red Sox player Dalton Jones. Bases full at Briggs Stadium in Detroit ,when Jones came to bat ….
(1) Opponent was the Red Sox, now hated by Jones;
(2) Jones hits a fly toward the RF seats;
(3) less then 2 outs and runners were holding;
(3) ball makes it into 1st row just over fielder's glove;
(4) Jones  ;D pumps his fist in joy AS he passes the runner at 1st;
(5)  :thumbup Jones  :thumbup is out for passing a lead runner;
(6) Sox end up winning by one. …..

[/NOT ALL BASEBALL STORIES HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS  :puke:

...UNLESS YOU'RE A RED SOX FAN  8]
b]