Author Topic: 10 Second Subtraction  (Read 1105 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
10 Second Subtraction
« on: September 10, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
Since the 10 Second Subtraction first became rule, I have never had it happen. The closest came in 2011, during a game at Texas Tech, but, dang it, the clock wasn't actually running when the FST occurred during the last minute of the game.

But, during a 9th grade game last night, we had a FST with the clock running during the last minute of the 2nd period. 10SS. Nailed it.
During the last minute of the 4th period, had a FST with the clock running. 10SS. Nailed it.

TWO in one game, after having gone some 12 years or so without one.  Just proves that, if it is gonna happen, its gonna happen in sub-varsity!

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: 10 Second Subtraction
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
To that point, had a game last night where 4th down fumble rule applied, on a try - receiver caught the ball at the one (right in front of me), was spun around (ball did not break plane) fumbled the ball back to the 3, another A player picked it up and ran it in.  I missed it - I was so focused on the ball not breaking the plane, and catch/no catch, that I didn't realize it couldn't be advanced, so I signaled touchdown. Far side wing bailed me out and corrected my mistake. 

So now in addition to repeating 'only the runner' to myself on 4th down plays, adding that to tries. 

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 10 Second Subtraction
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »
I have had scenarios that would meet the 10-second subtraction criteria, but occurred one minute too early to actually apply the rule (I.e. a helmet loss with 1:45 in the 1st half). I have not yet had to apply zap-10 in a college game, but there were some scenarios where I wish zap-10 was the rule in NFHS football.