Author Topic: LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...
« on: January 29, 2022, 05:09:35 AM »
The National Weather Service sez….

SNOW @ 3"/HR ,TOTALLING 20" +
   WIND @ 40/MPH+, W/ GUSTS NEAR 60
      TEMP NEAR DA' DONUT (ZERO)
         WIND CHILL NEARER -45
            PROBABLE POWER OUTAGES

As Maine prepares for our worst blizzard in several years, we try to live by the slogan "  :thumbup BE PREPARED  :thumbup STAY POSITIVE  :thumbup "

As we prepare to shovel , plow ,clear cars and stay warm; we feel positive that we will survive  :thumbup. Many of you live in areas of our proud nation where your natural disasters are much more dangerous and deadly. The snow will have stopped by this time tomorrow, kids will be playing, snowmobilers will be racing while the rest will be shoveling. Until then (as long as we have power) we have NFL Highlights , Law & Order reruns and a chance to chat with you guys  :bOW !

KEEP YOUR GLASS HALF FULL...NOT HALF EMPTY  tiphat:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...LET IT SNOW...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »
I am forever grateful that, when my forebearers got to the U.S., they turned left instead of right.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:21:23 AM »
Ralph, and everybody else in the path of this weather system, please stay safe. Stay at home, cuddled with spouse/book/tv, and be warm.
(I like to watch re-runs of Magnum PI and Hawai'i 5-0 in those conditions.  8])

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »
The National Weather Service sez….

SNOW @ 3"/HR ,TOTALLING 20" +
   WIND @ 40/MPH+, W/ GUSTS NEAR 60
      TEMP NEAR DA' DONUT (ZERO)
         WIND CHILL NEARER -45
            PROBABLE POWER OUTAGES

As Maine prepares for our worst blizzard in several years, we try to live by the slogan "  :thumbup BE PREPARED  :thumbup STAY POSITIVE  :thumbup "

As we prepare to shovel , plow ,clear cars and stay warm; we feel positive that we will survive  :thumbup. Many of you live in areas of our proud nation where your natural disasters are much more dangerous and deadly. The snow will have stopped by this time tomorrow, kids will be playing, snowmobilers will be racing while the rest will be shoveling. Until then (as long as we have power) we have NFL Highlights , Law & Order reruns and a chance to chat with you guys  :bOW !

KEEP YOUR GLASS HALF FULL...NOT HALF EMPTY  tiphat:

You're making me feel guilty (just a little).  It's nice having a daughter living in Texas (Victoria, SE of Houston, 57 degrees & sunny today) to visit over the holidays & NFL playoffs.  Back home, they're betting on dodging another bullet, 2-4" with wind, which is just a normal weekend.  Hopefully I can bring some of this Texas sunshine back with me next week, which I'll ask the powers to be to share with you lumberjacks.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 04:50:34 AM »
MY DAY, YESTERDAY...…

6 AM : posted topic  :o

8 AM : snow began   ::)

9 AM : wind began   tR:oLl  We have a bay window overlooking a beautiful open field and a not so beautiful I-95 a quarter mile away  :)

10-noon : Law & Order reruns, only plows seen on I-95

Noon : NWS report... STAY HOME  deadhorse:

1 - 3 PM : Blue Blood reruns, cannot see I-95, cannot see open field, can barely see back deck..cause: whiteout not Wild Turkey bourbon  eAt&

4 PM : Prepare for possible night w/o power  :puke:, blanket, flashlights, battery radios , stocked fireplace,etc. On Friday night we passed a couple dozen Canadian Hydro trucks on I-95 that were arriving to stand sentry. Learned later that 50+ trucks from 3 other states  FlAg1 had arrived for same yEs:

6-9 PM : Watched movie, Love Story...never lost power  :thumbup

4 AM, Sunday : We live on a private road with two neighbors, town doesn't plow snow there, but both neighbors do with attachable plows on their trucks. Heard their trucks and joined with my shovel.  yEs: yEs: yEs:

6 AM : Visited Ole' Dell to tell you guys of my exploits, or lack thereof, yesterday.  8]

[/LIFE IS GOOD, ENJOY TODAY'S FOOTBALL  tiphat:b]

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 08:19:49 AM »
Glad all is well.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »
I am forever grateful that, when my forebearers got to the U.S., they turned left instead of right.
Only been in 'Bama once, at the gate of an airport in 1975. Returning from Super Bowl in New Orleans where The Steelers beat the Vikings. Took a prop job to Atlanta with stops in Alabama and Mississippi with an ulterior motive...trying to see how many states I could drink in, now at 35. It was January -Super Bowls used to happen then. 'Bama looked nice thru the foggy plane window (the fog wasn't caused by the window  ;) ).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 07:19:33 AM »
Ralph, and everybody else in the path of this weather system, please stay safe. Stay at home, cuddled with spouse/book/tv, and be warm.
(I like to watch re-runs of Magnum PI and Hawai'i 5-0 in those conditions.  8])
Thanks, Elvis. A Texan enjoying shows about Hawaii makes me feel at home. Some of my favs were/are Walker,Texas Ranger; 911 Lone Star and ,as a kid,The Lone Ranger.  :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 07:21:32 AM »
You're making me feel guilty (just a little).  It's nice having a daughter living in Texas (Victoria, SE of Houston, 57 degrees & sunny today) to visit over the holidays & NFL playoffs.  Back home, they're betting on dodging another bullet, 2-4" with wind, which is just a normal weekend.  Hopefully I can bring some of this Texas sunshine back with me next week, which I'll ask the powers to be to share with you lumberjacks.
Thanks, Yankee Al. Sounds like a chance to become a Houston Astros fan !!  :)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 07:29:55 AM »
Took a prop job to Atlanta with stops in Alabama and Mississippi with an ulterior motive...trying to see how many states I could drink in, now at 35. It was January -Super Bowls used to happen then. 'Bama looked nice thru the foggy plane window (the fog wasn't caused by the window  ;) ).

Ah yes — the old Southern Airways Martin 404.  Back then, the saying around here was:
“When you die, it don’t matter if you’re going to heaven or hell — you gotta change planes in Atlanta!”

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 03:47:29 PM »
Thanks, Yankee Al. Sounds like a chance to become a Houston Astros fan !!  :)

Not likely Ralph, I'm afraid when God installed "Pin Stripes" he used indelible ink.  If I'm not mistaken, that's the same ink he uses for the Red Sox "B".

Apparently, that eliminates a lot of recalculations.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 06:52:31 AM »
For many of you and me, an ice storm is a' coming …. :puke:. While you can shovel snow, you can slip and fall on ice  :o. I believe the official groundhog lives in Pennsylvania . I believe it's cloudy in Pennsylvania today. I believe that means he won't see his shadow and will stay out of his hole to play  tR:oLl ! I believe that means only two more weeks of winter  :bOW !

The last couple shows of '911 Lone Star' dealt with a snow/ice storm in Texas. This morning Gov. Abbott told Texans to prepare for a snow/ice storm in Texas! Are the producers of 911-Lone Star better than the groundhog from the Commonwealth  ??? ??? ? The new rules will be out soon, then we will really have something to talk about.  8]

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY, EVERYONE !!

ICE IN MY BOURBON IS FINE, ICE ON MY DRIVEWAY IS NOT KIND  :(

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 08:23:57 AM »
For many of you and me, an ice storm is a' coming …. :puke:. While you can shovel snow, you can slip and fall on ice  :o. I believe the official groundhog lives in Pennsylvania . I believe it's cloudy in Pennsylvania today. I believe that means he won't see his shadow and will stay out of his hole to play  tR:oLl ! I believe that means only two more weeks of winter  :bOW !

The last couple shows of '911 Lone Star' dealt with a snow/ice storm in Texas. This morning Gov. Abbott told Texans to prepare for a snow/ice storm in Texas! Are the producers of 911-Lone Star better than the groundhog from the Commonwealth  ??? ??? ? The new rules will be out soon, then we will really have something to talk about.  8]

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY, EVERYONE !!

ICE IN MY BOURBON IS FINE, ICE ON MY DRIVEWAY IS NOT KIND  :(

Well, Phil was on TV this morning 'speaking' to dignitaries (although I see nothing dignified about this at all), and he told them "6 more weeks of winter."
A year ago, here in Texas, we had a monumental ice event that overpowered the electric grid, resulting in some deaths, a lot of vehicle accidents, and a lot of damage from frozen pipes, etc. A few heads rolled over that. So, Aboott is trying to be as proactive as he can to avert a repeat.
FYI, alcohol lowers the freezing point of water, so, maybe if you pour your bourbon on the ice in the driveway, you can get your car on the road and get to someplace warm (if I only knew of someplace warm.. OH. Wait. I do know of a warm place, some islands in the Pacific - something like Ha-y-eee).

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 09:11:52 AM »
Thanks for that sage advice, Elvis.  After spending the Christmas Holidays (somewhat extended) with my daughter, grand & great granddaughters in Victoria, TX, I'm flying home to Saratoga, NY, where it appears "Old man winter" is preparing a Great NE welcome.  Didn't get a chance to thank Gov. Abbot personally for the hospitality & warm weather, so if you see him, please do so for me.

We've been running a streak of bad luck with Governors for a while now, so if Abbott is ever looking for a change of pace, we'd be happy to extend a welcome to come visit Albany.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 09:36:30 AM »
Here in northwest Texas, it was 10 degrees F when I left my house at 7:10 to go to work. 9:30, now and it has climbed to 11. With ambient temperature in the 20s, we got a powdering of snow very rapidly yesterday afternoon, which melted on the streets almost instantly, but then quickly froze.  All schools closed today, righteously. Roads are slick and tricky, but navigable for careful business folks like us, so we are "on the job." So, as bad as this is for us - relatively speaking - I empathize for those that are truly stuck in their homes, and can't get out.
I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
Hope all that are located in this huge storm remain safe and sound. Skies are again blue in Maine, but with 20" of snow from weekend past, the additional 15" gives us nearly a yard. While a yard doesn't look long on a football field it certainly feels deep on a trip to the mailbox  :) !

[/STAY WARM, STAY WELL...

SOMEDAY WE'LL SEE GRASS AGAIN !!

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 05:03:42 PM »
Hope all that are located in this huge storm remain safe and sound. Skies are again blue in Maine, but with 20" of snow from weekend past, the additional 15" gives us nearly a yard. While a yard doesn't look long on a football field it certainly feels deep on a trip to the mailbox  :) !

[/STAY WARM, STAY WELL...

SOMEDAY WE'LL SEE GRASS AGAIN !!
Glad to see you survived the storm with electricity still on.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 06:50:23 PM »
Hope all that are located in this huge storm remain safe and sound. Skies are again blue in Maine, but with 20" of snow from weekend past, the additional 15" gives us nearly a yard. While a yard doesn't look long on a football field it certainly feels deep on a trip to the mailbox  :)

Hang in there Ralph rumor has it Spring may be thinking about an early return, although you never know how cranky Old Man Winter might get on the way out. 

Thankfully we dodged a bullet in the Capitol Region.  We got mostly rain, sleet and just a couple of inches of snow.  For the past 20+ years we seem to get a lot less snow than regions both North & South of us.  Not complaining a bit, as we still share regional temperatures.

Who knows, with the return of Spring, just maybe the "Curse of the Bambino" will remerge from a long nap.