Football Officiating > Texas Topics

False Start?

(1/3) > >>

Bulldog75:
I had a game back in the season where the coaches on my sideline were wanting a false start called.  One opposing team WR was making a slight rocking motion every snap.  Right before the snap he would shift his weight back and his hips would move noticeably.  His head, hands, and feet did not move any.  The coaches saw it because it was right in front of them.  I told them I wasn't going to call it because the movement did not met the definition of a false start.  The movement was not giving the receiver any unfair advantage and wasn't tricking or hurting the defender.  The movement did not simulate the start of a play and was not quick or abrupt.

Thoughts?

dammitbobby:
The first time I saw it, I'd talk to the receiver and warn him, even before the coach started complaining, so that it doesn't put me in a tough spot like this later on. If the coach was smart, he'd tell his OLB/CB/S whoever it is to react to the movement; that makes it an easy call.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Bulldog75 on January 08, 2024, 10:29:29 AM ---I had a game back in the season where the coaches on my sideline were wanting a false start called.  One opposing team WR was making a slight rocking motion every snap.  Right before the snap he would shift his weight back and his hips would move noticeably.  His head, hands, and feet did not move any.  The coaches saw it because it was right in front of them.  I told them I wasn't going to call it because the movement did not met the definition of a false start.  The movement was not giving the receiver any unfair advantage and wasn't tricking or hurting the defender.  The movement did not simulate the start of a play and was not quick or abrupt.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Don’t let him get away with that. By rule, he is supposed to be completely still, without movement of their feet, body, head or arms. Save yourself and future crews the headache. Easy enough to ‘talk to’ him to tell him he has to be completely still.

Bulldog75:
Does the rule say completely still?  Or is that an understood interpretation?  Honest question, this was my second season.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Bulldog75 on January 09, 2024, 08:03:50 PM ---Does the rule say completely still?  Or is that an understood interpretation?  Honest question, this was my second season.

--- End quote ---

Forgive me, but you tell me what the rule says.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version