Author Topic: TASO Mini Quiz 2  (Read 1649 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
TASO Mini Quiz 2
« on: April 15, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
Pick me apart please...

1.  Fourth and 12 at the A-20. Team A's punt is blocked and does not cross the neutral zone. A76 recovers the ball and caries it to the A-35, where he is tackled in the field of play.

6-1-1a A scrimmage kick that fails to cross the neutral zone continues in play. All players may catch or recover the ball behind the neutral zone and advance it.  A’s Ball 1/10 at the 35, 40 PC, GC on referee’s signal.

2.  Third and six at the A-20. Team A leads 24-21 late in the fourth period. A34 carries the ball to the A-28 where he is tackled in the field of play with 1:52 on the game clock. The Umpire flags A76 for holding at the line of scrimmage.

The penalty statement for 9-3-3 reads:  PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot.  Since not behind the neutral zone, penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul. 4/16 at A-10.

3.  Second and four at the A-40 with the game clock running late in the fourth period. Team B leads 27-14 and both teams are out of time outs. When A24 is tackled in the field of play at the A-43, the game clock reads 0:36. During the play A55 is flagged for holding at the line of scrimmage and B27 loses his helmet. RULING:

The 10 yard penalty for holding will be assessed from previous spot.  For the helmet coming off, B27 must leave the game for one down.  Since they are out of timeouts, he cannot be ‘bought’ back in.  Since the clock is not stopped for the foul itself (holding does not stop the clock, unlike, say, a false start), there is no runoff enforced.  3rd and 14 from the A30, 25 GC, GC on R’s signal.

4.  First and 10 at the B-40 late in the second period. Time expires as A22 makes a long run and is tackled at the B-1. During the play, the excited Team B coach steps onto the field of play and is flagged for interference by the Head Line Judge.

Rule 9-2-5-a, penalty statements says this is a dead ball foul, however the first infraction is a warning.  Game is over.  (Had this been second or third, 5 yards from succeeding spot; 4th or more, 15 yards from succeeding spot and automatic first down.)

5.  During the first possession series of an extra period it is fourth and 25 at the B-40. Team A's field goal attempt is unsuccessful and B43 touches the ball at the B-18. A88 recovers the ball at the B-16.

8-4-2-2: If the ball does not cross the neutral zone, or if Team B touches the ball after it crosses the neutral zone, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply (A.R. 6-3-4-II, A.R. 8-4-2-I-VI and A.R. 10-2-3-V). So now we know that scrimmage kick rules apply, so:

ARTICLE 6. a. If a player of the kicking team catches or recovers a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone, the ball becomes dead (A.R. 6-3-1-IV). The ball belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot, unless the kicking team is in legal possession when the ball is declared dead. In the latter case, the ball belongs to the kicking team. (Exception: Rule 8-4-2-b).

This is a live ball, and recoverable by A.  A’s ball 1/10  at the B-16.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: TASO Mini Quiz 2
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »
Pick me apart please...

1.  Fourth and 12 at the A-20. Team A's punt is blocked and does not cross the neutral zone. A76 recovers the ball and caries it to the A-35, where he is tackled in the field of play.

6-1-1a A scrimmage kick that fails to cross the neutral zone continues in play. All players may catch or recover the ball behind the neutral zone and advance it.  A’s Ball 1/10 at the 35, 40 PC, GC on referee’s signal.

2.  Third and six at the A-20. Team A leads 24-21 late in the fourth period. A34 carries the ball to the A-28 where he is tackled in the field of play with 1:52 on the game clock. The Umpire flags A76 for holding at the line of scrimmage.

The penalty statement for 9-3-3 reads:  PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot.  Since not behind the neutral zone, penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul. 4/16 at A-10.

Question 1:  After all scrimmage kicks what is the status of the Play Clock and Game Clock?

Question 2:  I suspect this question is about being under 2 mins in the half with a foul by the team ahead in score.  The opposing team has the option to start the Clock on snap or ready.  They'll choose the snap in this play most likely.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
Pick me apart please...

Jason's got this one.

Jason has this one, too.

3.  Second and four at the A-40 with the game clock running late in the fourth period. Team B leads 27-14 and both teams are out of time outs. When A24 is tackled in the field of play at the A-43, the game clock reads 0:36. During the play A55 is flagged for holding at the line of scrimmage and B27 loses his helmet. RULING:

The 10 yard penalty for holding will be assessed from previous spot.  For the helmet coming off, B27 must leave the game for one down.  Since they are out of timeouts, he cannot be ‘bought’ back in.  Since the clock is not stopped for the foul itself (holding does not stop the clock, unlike, say, a false start), there is no runoff enforced.  3rd and 14 from the A30, 25 GC, GC on R’s signal.
The ruling is correct, but your rationale is not quite on target. You are correct that holding is not a foul that would CAUSE THE CLOCK TO STOP the moment the foul occurs. That's not really the issue here. The real issue the fact that the clock was stopped for both the helmet coming off AND to COMPLETE THE PENALTY for the holding foul. Since the helmet coming off wasn't the ONLY reason the clock was stopped, then the 10-second subtraction does not apply. Also, since the foul was not by the team ahead in score, there is no option regarding when the game clock will start - it will start by normal clock rules. 

4.  First and 10 at the B-40 late in the second period. Time expires as A22 makes a long run and is tackled at the B-1. During the play, the excited Team B coach steps onto the field of play and is flagged for interference by the Head Line Judge.

Rule 9-2-5-a, penalty statements says this is a dead ball foul, however the first infraction is a warning.  Game is over.  (Had this been second or third, 5 yards from succeeding spot; 4th or more, 15 yards from succeeding spot and automatic first down.)
Since the statement used the term "interference," 9-2-5-b is the correct rule. No warning for this. But, the game is still over, since this is treated as a dead-ball foul, officially occurring after time in the period expired. And, since it was the 4th period...so long. Now, had there been some time remaining, there would, indeed, be a 15-yard (1/2 the distance) penalty assessed against B.

5.  During the first possession series of an extra period it is fourth and 25 at the B-40. Team A's field goal attempt is unsuccessful and B43 touches the ball at the B-18. A88 recovers the ball at the B-16.

8-4-2-2: If the ball does not cross the neutral zone, or if Team B touches the ball after it crosses the neutral zone, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply (A.R. 6-3-4-II, A.R. 8-4-2-I-VI and A.R. 10-2-3-V). So now we know that scrimmage kick rules apply, so:

ARTICLE 6. a. If a player of the kicking team catches or recovers a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone, the ball becomes dead (A.R. 6-3-1-IV). The ball belongs to the receiving team at the dead-ball spot, unless the kicking team is in legal possession when the ball is declared dead. In the latter case, the ball belongs to the kicking team. (Exception: Rule 8-4-2-b).

This is a live ball, and recoverable by A.  A’s ball 1/10  at the B-16.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 03:02:44 PM »
For Question 2: With accepted penalty it would be 3/16, not 4/16. I agree on clock choice since under 2 min in 4th qtr Team B who is behind in score would most likely want it started on snap.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 04:17:36 PM »
yep - I just typed it wrong, I knew it wasn't LOD.

Offline Dbronx

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
I believe in question 4 it’s the end of the 1st half, not the end of the game, so I think you can have a carry over to the 2nd half.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
I believe in question 4 it’s the end of the 1st half, not the end of the game, so I think you can have a carry over to the 2nd half.

Well, there I go again...
Yeah. Guess I had Q2 on my brain.
Go to halftime, and penalize B on the second half kickoff.
Thanks!