Author Topic: Baseball & Corona (not the beer)....  (Read 5964 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Baseball & Corona (not the beer)....
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure that all of Texas would appreciate it if you guys would keep all the cold and snow up there, and we'll keep the tornadoes.  :)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
:) While Texas seldom has snow ,Maine seldom has tornados . One you have to shovel, the other you have to hide  :!#. Our border with Canada is quite mellow - although the Canadians won't currently let us in  FlAg1 ! Your border with Mexico appears to be much more busy  P_S  ! In Texas you only need to wear a mask if you are about to rob somebody/something, In Maine you have to wear a mask if you are going out to your mailbox  :puke: Someday, somehow, things will get back to normal - we hope  ^good

Come to Phoenix, AZ, no tornados, no hurricanes, no real earthquakes, no snow (unless you want to drive a couple of hours to see it), rarely rains.  Already pool weather, baseball year around. In the summer you just go from AC to AC no big deal.  Weather is great except for the 6 to 8 weeks of it being really hot.  Even then as long as it is below 110, it really isn't any worse, in fact it is better then 85-90 with 80% humidity

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »
Come to Phoenix, AZ, no tornados, no hurricanes, no real earthquakes, no snow (unless you want to drive a couple of hours to see it), rarely rains.  Already pool weather, baseball year around. In the summer you just go from AC to AC no big deal.  Weather is great except for the 6 to 8 weeks of it being really hot.  Even then as long as it is below 110, it really isn't any worse, in fact it is better then 85-90 with 80% humidity

I have a friend who moved out there several years ago.  I asked her how the "dry heat" was.  She said it was like walking out of her house into her oven!  :)  She preferred the 90 degrees with 80% humidity. 

Personally, I would prefer the weather in Phoenix to months of snow and cold. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
Made it thru my first game of corona-ball and lived totell about it. Felt at ease calling pitches from behind the pitcher after a couple of innings as I realized that I have been sub-concisusly calling pitches when in the B or C slot for many years. No snow, but it did begin to rain on the way home. Good game 3-0 in under 2 hours. Players, coaches, fans and umps were all required to wear masks . I recall in my daze of youth when some female protesters burned their bras... maybe someday we can burn our masks...maybe some of you already have  :)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:47 PM »
Made it thru my first game of corona-ball and lived totell about it. Felt at ease calling pitches from behind the pitcher after a couple of innings as I realized that I have been sub-concisusly calling pitches when in the B or C slot for many years. No snow, but it did begin to rain on the way home. Good game 3-0 in under 2 hours. Players, coaches, fans and umps were all required to wear masks . I recall in my daze of youth when some female protesters burned their bras... maybe someday we can burn our masks...maybe some of you already have  :)

Under 2 hours is pretty good.  How much of that quick time would you attribute to the current mechanics you used?  I've always felt I'm more accurate calling pitches in B or C.  I often want to throw a discreet sign to the plate ump letting him know to ring up a strike.  ;D

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 04:33:38 AM »
Under 2 hours is pretty good.  How much of that quick time would you attribute to the current mechanics you used?  I've always felt I'm more accurate calling pitches in B or C.  I often want to throw a discreet sign to the plate ump letting him know to ring up a strike.  ;D
Of the 12 outs in the first 2 innings, 8 were K's - 6 were called. I probably called a wider zone then behind the plate. Instructed both catchers to raise their hand if they wished to dust off the plate and I'd grant them time, it worked. Had a couple of flies down the LF line and was able to get to the line for fair/foul call. No liners or hard grounders to guess on :bOW. One pitcher wore a gray mask (NFHS doesn't allow white or gray on pitcher's glove or sleves) we allowed it.

A local TV station runs a new poll every day with usually a 200-300 responses. When our neighbor New Hampshire removed their mask mandate, the station's poll question was : "Should Maine remove their mask mandate ?" 7,000+ RESPONSED :o. 80+% SAID yes  8] 8]. Our governor runs for re-election in 2022. I hope she was watching ^flag
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:52:42 AM by Ralph Damren »