Other Sports > Baseball

Baseball & Corona (not the beer)....

(1/7) > >>

Ralph Damren:
We have been told that the upcoming baseball season will be played -GOOD NEWS. We have also been told that the plate umpire will call pitches from behind  pitcher  :o - NOT GOOD NEWS :o. I have but 3 questions:

(1) Who calls fair/foul ?
(2) What does the base umpire do ?
(3) How many other states are considering this ???  :puke:

JasonTX:
Very good question on the fair / foul situations.   As for calling the pitches from behind the pitcher,  I would love that.  I know when I'm working the bases and get into B or C I see pitches that are clear strikes but the plate umpire doesn't call it.  The same happens when I'm on the plate.  I told one guy the other day that we need a buzzer.  When the base umpire sees a strike he can buzz the plate so he can ring it up.  ;D

dammitbobby:

--- Quote from: JasonTX on March 16, 2021, 10:06:23 AM ---Very good question on the fair / foul situations.   As for calling the pitches from behind the pitcher,  I would love that.  I know when I'm working the bases and get into B or C I see pitches that are clear strikes but the plate umpire doesn't call it.  The same happens when I'm on the plate.  I told one guy the other day that we need a buzzer.  When the base umpire sees a strike he can buzz the plate so he can ring it up.  ;D

--- End quote ---

Use your O2O for that.  :)

bama_stripes:
Good grief.  I worry less about contracting contagious diseases while umpiring baseball than almost anywhere else.

Although I suppose that it really doesn’t matter where PU stands when you only play a 10-game season.  >:D

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: bama_stripes on March 16, 2021, 05:47:27 PM ---Good grief.  I worry less about contracting contagious diseases while umpiring baseball than almost anywhere else.

Although I suppose that it really doesn’t matter where PU stands when you only play a 10-game season.  >:D

--- End quote ---
The concern wasn't about umps getting corona, but an ump having corona. In Maine, if any player/coach/ump is found to have corona, both teams and umps must self-quarantine for 10 days. This occurred twice during basketball season after one of the refs tested positive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version