Author Topic: 2021 Rules Committee Meeting  (Read 7787 times)

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
2021 Rules Committee Meeting
« on: January 09, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
Looks like the virtual 2021 NFHS Football Rules Committee Meeting starts tomorrow - https://www.sfia.org/calendar/920_NFHS-Football-Rules-Committee-Meeting

Any thoughts on possible 2021 changes, if any?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: 2021 Rules Committee Meeting
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 04:29:50 PM »
Can't think of any right now.  They've not even sent out the questionaire, which normally leads you to the direction they are leaning.  Given that some states have yet to play the 2020 season, the smart play might be to forego any changes this year.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:06:21 PM by HLinNC »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:07 AM »
Can't think of any right now.  They've not even sent out the questionaire, which normally leads you to the direction they are leaning.  Given that some states have yet to play the 2020 season, the smart play might be to forego any changes this year.
I agree. This is a great year to take a deep breath and settle down.  As long as they don’t mess with the :40, I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 06:46:28 AM »

I got the questionnaire.  The only one I remember was about an “out of the tackle box” exception for IG.

FWIW, FED baseball made no changes for 2021, not even editorial revisions.  I’m not sure they even had a meeting.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
I got the questionnaire.

I think Ralph usually posts a link and maybe Referee mag sends it out.  I've seen neither so far which is why I assumed that they had not.

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 03:00:03 PM »
I think Ralph usually posts a link and maybe Referee mag sends it out.  I've seen neither so far which is why I assumed that they had not.

I saw a NFHS rules survey as well.  That was late November / early December.

I'd attach a link for you, but the survey closed on 1/2/21 and is no longer available.

I would agree with others that there wasn't much new on there.  At least not that I remember.  Mostly it asked opinions about recent rule changes and also asked if certain things were a problem in your area.  I'm sorry, but I don't remember what those potential problem areas that they asked about were.

Offline ttown44

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »
I'd like to see them clarify that the FBZ no longer exists once the ball leaves the zone in reference to blindside blocks.  This language exists for other types of blocks (Ex: Blocking Below the Waist) but is not in the rulebook for blindside blocks.  More of an editorial change I would guess.  The rule as currently written could cause some confusion on any type of reverse where the ball leaves the zone but then re-enters.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
IMO, that could be done simply by taking out the references to the other blocks. Just write it like this: “ The free blocking zone disintegrates for the remainder of the down once the ball leaves the zone.”

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »
IMO, that could be done simply by taking out the references to the other blocks. Just write it like this: “ The free blocking zone disintegrates for the remainder of the down once the ball leaves the zone.”

I'd agree with Calhoun. Just modify the current Section 2, Section 17, Article 4.  That gets rid of the "exception" would which the NFHS gurus dislike anyway.

ART. 4 . . . The free-blocking zone disintegrates and the exception for a player to block below the waist and/or the exception for an offensive lineman to block in the back is not to continue after the ball has left the zone.

That's the way we have been instructed to officiate the FBZ right now so it would make the rules less ambiguous and far clearer to read.  IMHO it would read even better if Article 4 was deleted and the "disintegrates" sentence was tacked on to the end of Article 1.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:19:05 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ttown44

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 11:31:41 AM »
I'd agree with both Calhoun and NV.  Cleaning up the language and having it stated in one area would certainly be more efficient and accurate.

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
I would like to see it changed where a lineman in a two point stance is NOT allowed to block below the waist when the snap is to the quarterback or anyone outside the free blocking zone.  I've see officials and coaches disagree that this should be allowed/not allowed.  I have no problem with linemen in a 3 or 4 point stance blocking immediately in this instance but don't like it from the 2 point stance.  Just my two cents worth.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 01:22:27 PM »
I’m to the pint of being ok if they take it out altogether. Of course I also know the backlash that would cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 07:11:20 AM »
I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a 2-pt stance lineman do that.  The whole point of that stance is to allow him to quickly retreat into pass blocking mode.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »
I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a 2-pt stance lineman do that.  The whole point of that stance is to allow him to quickly retreat into pass blocking mode.
We have a team in our district that does it routinely. Their linemen set in a two point every play, run or pass.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »
Our hi-tech zoom meeting ended this Tuesday. One rule passed. I'm sworn to secret until the NFHS press release. It was not a big year for new rules as only 8 were proposed (normally 40-50) and only one made it out of sub-committee.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
We have a team in our district that does it routinely. Their linemen set in a two point every play, run or pass.

One of, if not THE oldest, excuse in football is, "we've been doing it all season".   The ONLY result of ignoring/allowing repeated rule breaking, is dealing with a lot more of it.  Often, a simple "word to be wise" (the very first time) can eliminate a lot of further repetition.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
One of, if not THE oldest, excuse in football is, "we've been doing it all season".   The ONLY result of ignoring/allowing repeated rule breaking, is dealing with a lot more of it.  Often, a simple "word to be wise" (the very first time) can eliminate a lot of further repetition.
Could you elaborate? Nobody is suggesting any rule was broken, ignored, or allowed to be broken. There is nothing in the rules that prevents A linemen from being in a two point stance. Or cut blocking from the stance for that matter. What word to the wise would you suggest for this team?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »
Our hi-tech zoom meeting ended this Tuesday. One rule passed. I'm sworn to secret until the NFHS press release. It was not a big year for new rules as only 8 were proposed (normally 40-50) and only one made it out of sub-committee.

So for those places, like NC, who aren't scheduled to start their 2020 season until (likely) after the press release of the rule change, but before the release of the actual rule, how much confusion do you think there will be about that rule change?

I'm guessing we will not incorporate this rule change for the spring season, since the 2021 rule books won't be out by then.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 07:43:45 AM »
Technically we are still awaiting the 2020 season.  The change won't take effect until fall 2021.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Could you elaborate? Nobody is suggesting any rule was broken, ignored, or allowed to be broken. There is nothing in the rules that prevents A linemen from being in a two point stance. Or cut blocking from the stance for that matter. What word to the wise would you suggest for this team?

I don't believe I suggested any rule was broken. However, when player behavior indicates a potential misunderstanding of a rule, but neither gains an unearned advantage, relative to that specific incident nor poses any safety violation, depending on the specific circumstance an instructive suggestion, made directly and privately to the player about the potential of similar behavior crossing the line of requiring sanction (preventive officiating) may well serve to correct misunderstanding and avoid unnecessary consequences resulting from subsequent action.

Have you had a chance to check out the meaning of "pettifogger"?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 12:02:46 PM »
I don't believe I suggested any rule was broken. However, when player behavior indicates a potential misunderstanding of a rule, but neither gains an unearned advantage, relative to that specific incident nor poses any safety violation, depending on the specific circumstance an instructive suggestion, made directly and privately to the player about the potential of similar behavior crossing the line of requiring sanction (preventive officiating) may well serve to correct misunderstanding and avoid unnecessary consequences resulting from subsequent action.

Have you had a chance to check out the meaning of "pettifogger"?
What in the world are you talking about? And how does that have anything to do with linemen lining up in a two point stance?

And yes, I looked up pettifogger. Has your picture beside it.

Are we going to resort to name calling now?

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »
Damn Al, I got lost.  Are you saying a talk to?
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
Do agree that the rule needs fixing but we were clearly told as part of our Massachusetts 2019 preseason "Rules Differences" presentations at a statewide series of seminars with videos and a PowerPoint slide show that a lineman must be in 3 or 4 point stance to initiate a BBW if in shotgun formation.  The PowerPoint is attached. The videos clearly showed that before a lineman who is standing up or partially down without a hand on the ground was clearly making initial BBW contact well after the ball was out of the zone.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »
Official Mississippi interpretation is as long as the motion of the lineman is immediate and forward, it’s legal for him to block below the waist from a two point stance during a shotgun snap. If he takes a step back and then cuts it’s illegal.

As far as a potential “talk to”, I’m not holding a rules conference pregame or during. Coaches have the interp.

Offline CalhounLJ

2021 Rules Committee Meeting
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 01:09:37 PM »
C
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:41:36 PM by CalhounLJ »