Author Topic: An apology  (Read 8339 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
An apology
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
I want to (of my own volition) apologize for some of the comments I've made on this board in anger. While this is deeply personal, I've been diagnosed with bipolar, and the anger it brought out of me was displayed here in a few discussions. I also want to apologize to a couple people in particular, and they know who they are, for the way I talked to them. It's not an excuse, but an explanation, and I'm sorry for any personal attacks I made.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: An apology
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
Brendan,

If you are truly bipolar and cannot control it, you should not be officiating in any sport. If someone disagreeing with you on an Internet blog, what would happen if they (coach, player, parent) disagree with you in the heat of a game?
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
Brendan,
For what it's worth, I know that must have been difficult to do. I also assume in doing so, you have sought treatment for it. I have known co-workers who were bi-polar and were able to address their issues- if that is the correct term- with medication.

Etref, I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to continue officiating as long as he continues on his medication to address the condition.

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:25:38 AM »
GA

Notice I said "if you can't control it"

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »
I understand. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I should have phrased my response differently.

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
 :thumbup

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
I want to (of my own volition) apologize for some of the comments I've made on this board in anger. While this is deeply personal, I've been diagnosed with bipolar, and the anger it brought out of me was displayed here in a few discussions. I also want to apologize to a couple people in particular, and they know who they are, for the way I talked to them. It's not an excuse, but an explanation, and I'm sorry for any personal attacks I made.
Lol

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »
Because the troll tries an apology that may or may not be true!!!

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
I just tried to do the right thing.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Because the troll tries an apology that may or may not be true!!!

My (limited) experience with people suffering from the bipolar disorder thinks the apology may well be true. People in the manic state can be extremely monomanical, and usually are very reasonable people when not in mania.

Obviously, as this is Internet, I have no way of verifying Brendan's statement. But, I can use the old adage of officiating: you are just as good as your next call.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:41 PM »
If you are truly bipolar and cannot control it, you should not be officiating in any sport.

Maybe try coaching?   ;)

ncaaref1

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »

That's an admirable post.  Your apology is accepted (by me anyway).

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
It's an admirable trait to recognize a flaw and follow through with a heart felt apology.

However ( joking now) ya gotta admit...the condition screams candidate for a coaching position!  hEaDbAnG

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 11:15:01 PM »
Research tells us that 1 in 5 people will experience some type of mental illness in their lifetime. The hard part is seeking treatment. The stigma is real people. I am pretty sure that no one would use the excuse of mental illness for his anger if it wasn't true.

BTW Brendan I also suffer from a mental illness. I have been diagnosed with PTSD. I know how anger can get a hold on you and take over your life. Please continue to seek treatment. Most mental illness are highly treatable.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
I agree it was admirable.

I actually thought all of us had something mentally wrong to do what we do.  :thumbup

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
I agree it was admirable.

I actually thought all of us had something mentally wrong to do what we do.  :thumbup
LOL ;D

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
That explains quite a lot....I wish you well.