Author Topic: All clear on the signals front......  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
All clear on the signals front......
« on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
While we are all warned about touching our face during these days, it appears that while signals #23, 24,28 & 37 touch the head they do not touch the face. While curtailing the coronavirus is at the forefront of my mind, football is still wedged in my brain. My apologies to any of you that may find this post in bad taste.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: All clear on the signals front......
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
While we are all warned about touching our face during these days, it appears that while signals #23, 24,28 & 37 touch the head they do not touch the face. While curtailing the coronavirus is at the forefront of my mind, football is still wedged in my brain. My apologies to any of you that may find this post in bad taste.

For NCAA, 26 should touch the face, after all, it is "Hands to the Face," not "Hands to the Head."

But, in truth, no signal need actually touch the face or exposed head.  Just get close to the face, and touch only the hat for those above the face.

Yeccchh.  That tasted terrible. :P

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:44:12 AM »

This begs the question I have wondered about since so many stadiums have the R mic'd now.  What is the purpose of signals?  Serious.  Click on the mic, tell us what happened, no need for signals, done.  But of course we still need signals for anything affecting the clock.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
This begs the question I have wondered about since so many stadiums have the R mic'd now.  What is the purpose of signals?  Serious.  Click on the mic, tell us what happened, no need for signals, done.  But of course we still need signals for anything affecting the clock.

I'd assume that part of it is because "that's how we've always done it". 

Plus, you'd still need the signals if the mike goes out or you're working somewhere without one.  Better to give signals that aren't needed than not give signals when they are.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that Ralph, as you suggest NO  signal, as pictured on pages 94 & 95 of the NFHS Rule Book, shows any touching of the face.

Although some sections of the Country apparently offer audio assistance for Referee penalty signals, I suspect that is a distinct minority of locations, and visual communications, via signals, will persist, for some time, as the primary communication to teams and spectators.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »

Signals in baseball are said to have originated back in the 1800's to aid a player named Hoye who was deft. I usually have closed-caption on when watching TV , but can still hear the coaches and their praise  ;D from the sidelines  ;) !

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 07:30:12 AM »
Signals in baseball are said to have originated back in the 1800's to aid a player named Hoye who was deft. I usually have closed-caption on when watching TV , but can still hear the coaches and their praise  ;D from the sidelines  ;) !

Maybe so, maybe no...

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/did-umpires-develop-hand-signals-because-of-deaf-player-dummy-hoy.html