Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Uncommonly enforced rules

(1/22) > >>

ncwingman:
What's the most uncommonly encountered rule you've ever had to enforce?

In refreshing for the upcoming spring season, I was reminded of the usual rules that appear on tests that are either never something we really have to deal with on game day or are so rare to cause a problem as to never be enforced. There's the obvious rules regarding field markings that we usually can't fix, such as the ubiquitous midfield logo painted over the 50 yard line, but I'm also sure that none of us have actually measured a field to verify its dimensions.

With all the rule changes regarding uniforms, have you ever had to make a home team change jerseys so that you have contrasting colors? The only time I wanted to was a peewee game where the black team was playing the dark purple team -- but they only had the one jersey, so there was nothing else to change into. Did I mention it was County Team A vs. County Team B so the only difference was the color? The design/logo/font was all the same....

On an actual game related rule, the one that started me thinking about it, was be able to move a free kick line in case of an unplayable field like a giant puddle on the 40. From what I've seen recently, if field conditions were that bad, the game would likely be suspended or called off before that became an issue and I was wondering if I'd ever see it put in practice.

AlUpstateNY:
As the NFHS Officials Manual consistently reminds us, common sense and judgment are key factors in consistently following, and applying both the letter, and intent of NFHS rules successfully.  Expecting any set of rules to explicitly relate to EVERY possible situation is unreasonable, and impractical and would be impossible to keep updated, or practical to keep track of.

If the "puddle" in your example stretched from sideline to sideline and was so wide, or deep, to make adjustment impractical, a judgment, by the referee, who would be guided by NFHS 1-1-6 providing that the referee's decision, alone, made in the spirit of sportsmanship, would prevail.

1-1-6 relies on the judgment, maturity, impartiality and common sense of the senior game official to render a specific judgment to an equally specific and unique circumstances he is confronted with in that unique situation.  Although the ultimate decision is the referee's to make, he is not restricted from seeking advise and counsel from his crewmates and/or any other sources he chooses to consider.

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: ncwingman on February 02, 2021, 12:09:51 PM ---What's the most uncommonly encountered rule you've ever had to enforce?

In refreshing for the upcoming spring season, I was reminded of the usual rules that appear on tests that are either never something we really have to deal with on game day or are so rare to cause a problem as to never be enforced. There's the obvious rules regarding field markings that we usually can't fix, such as the ubiquitous midfield logo painted over the 50 yard line, but I'm also sure that none of us have actually measured a field to verify its dimensions.

With all the rule changes regarding uniforms, have you ever had to make a home team change jerseys so that you have contrasting colors? The only time I wanted to was a peewee game where the black team was playing the dark purple team -- but they only had the one jersey, so there was nothing else to change into. Did I mention it was County Team A vs. County Team B so the only difference was the color? The design/logo/font was all the same....

On an actual game related rule, the one that started me thinking about it, was be able to move a free kick line in case of an unplayable field like a giant puddle on the 40. From what I've seen recently, if field conditions were that bad, the game would likely be suspended or called off before that became an issue and I was wondering if I'd ever see it put in practice.

--- End quote ---
One of my crew threw a flag for a player continuing to participate after he lost his lid in a playoff game this year. I donít remember ever enforcing that one before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HLinNC:
Many years ago I had an illegal numbering.  In my mind I'm saying "#5 hands off to......#5??" It was the home team.  They were wearing blue jerseys but the second #5's jersey was an older, slightly different model.

Worked a homecoming game where the court was being driven all the way around the track in convertibles.  Between the number of girls on the court and the number of convertibles available to haul them, halftime took 25+ minutes.  Our white hat, (may he RIP), was a bit of a hothead and was livid.  He wanted to go out on the field and flag the home team.   I was brought up to believe that you "Never F with the band or homecoming".  We begged him not to and he relented but it was iffy for a while.

Wasn't my game but we did have a white hat in our region make the home team change jerseys when they came out wearing a light silver gray color he deemed too close to the visitor's white.  This school uses a color combo of white, royal blue, and black and has jerseys in all three colors.  Where and why silver gray came in, I've no idea.

dammitbobby:
I think the most uncommon one I've seen on the field was the actual fourth down fumble rule be applied. Runner fumbled at the three, fumbled forward into the EZ, recovered by another Team A player.  Not terribly uncommon, but you def don't see it often either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version