Author Topic: S/B 2021 Quiz 1  (Read 551 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +115/-90
  • The rules are there if you need them.
S/B 2021 Quiz 1
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »
Tell me what I messed up.
-------------------------------

1. 3/10 @ B-15. In the 2nd possession series of the 1st extra period the score is tied, and Team A’s field goal attempt is blocked and does not cross the neutral zone. A23 recovers the ball at the B-17 and runs to the B-9 and is tackled.
RULING:  A, 4/4, B-9, no clock (25, starts on referee’s signal).
Since the scrimmage kick had not crossed the NZ when it was recovered by A23, the ball may be advanced. Since there was no change of team possession, A’s possession series continues, with 4th down. Due to legal kick down, play clock is 25 seconds and starts on Referee’s signal.

2. 1/10 @ B-25. During the first possession series of the 1st extra period, B10 intercepts Team A’s pass on his six-yard line. B10 runs laterally and then circles back and downs the ball in his end zone.
RULING: B, 1/10, B-25, no clock (25).
B10 is responsible for the ball becoming dead behind B’s goal line - safety – 2 points for Team A. Team A’s possession series is ended. Team B’s possession series starts at the same 25-yard line as the first possession series.

3. 3/10 @ B-40. Late in the 2nd quarter and both teams out of time outs, QB A12 scrambles and runs to the B-21 and is tackled inbounds. When the clock stops for the 1st down, there is 0:03 remaining. Team A intends to spike the ball and run an additional play. The referee appropriately blows his whistle and signals, which starts the game clock. The quarterback takes the snap and raises the ball high over his head before throwing it directly to the ground. The game clock shows 0:00. Replay confirms that as the ball hit the ground incomplete – there was no time remaining on the clock.
RULING:  Halftime.
Although 3 seconds remaining on the clock allows Team A the opportunity to legally ground the ball to stop the clock, A12 commits intentional ground by not throwing the ball directly to the ground. The penalty is loss of down at the spot of the pass. However, a period is not extended when the penalty includes loss of down, and, since the game clock had expired during the down (confirmed by Replay), the half is over. The period would be over regardless if Team B accepted or declined the penalty.

4. 4/6 @ B-36. Team A’s running play, which ends inbounds, gains three yards to the B-33. B61 is offside at the snap.
RULING: A, 3/1, B-31, ready (25).
The 5-yard penalty for B61’s offside foul would be obviously accepted, taking the ball to the B-31, and repeating the down. The play clock is set to 25 seconds, and both clocks will start on the referee’s signal.
. Whoops. Misread the down, somehow. But, the only difference is the down to be repeated is 4th down: A, 4/1, B-31, ready (25).

5. 2/8 @ A-42. In the fourth quarter Team B is leading by 2 points. QB A12’s pass is intercepted by B44 at the B-20 and B44 carries the ball out of bounds at that point. B79 is in the neutral zone at the snap. When the game clock is stopped it reads 6:02.
RULING: 2/3, A-47, ready (25).
The 5-yard penalty for B79’s offside foul will be obviously accepted, taking the ball to the A-47, and repeating 2nd down. The play clock is set to 25 seconds, and will start on the referee’s signal. Because Team B will NOT next snap the ball, the game clock will also start on the referee’s signal.

6. 2/8 @ A-42. Late in the fourth quarter Team B is leading by 2 points. QB A12’s pass is intercepted by B44 at the B-20 and B44 carries the ball out of bounds at that point. B79 is in the neutral zone at the snap. When the game clock is stopped it reads 1:59.
RULING: 2/3, A-47, snap (25).
The 5-yard penalty for B79’s offside foul will be obviously accepted, taking the ball to the A-47, and repeating 2nd down. The play clock is set to 25 seconds, and will start on the referee’s signal. Since the foul is by the team ahead in score with less than 2 minutes in the 4th period, by rule, Team A will have the option to start the game clock on the snap or on the referee’s signal. In this instance, Team A will most likely choose to have the game clock start on the snap.

7. 3/10 @ A-30. QB A12 throws a pass downfield that is incomplete. After the ball is dead, A55 blocks B33 at his waist, knocking him to the ground. As B33 hits the ground his helmet pops off.
RULING: See AR 3-3-9-I. A, 4/25, A-15. The 15 yard penalty for A55’s dead-ball late hit foul is penalized at the succeeding spot (A-30), to the A-15. B33’s helmet came off through play – not as a direct result of a helmet foul. B33 may not participate in the next down (unless his team is charged with a time-out).

8. At halftime the score is 52-0. Both coaches and the referee agree that the third and fourth quarters should be shortened to 12 minutes each. The coaches also request that the second half be played with a “running clock,” i.e., that the game clock not be stopped.
RULING: The 3rd and 4th periods will be shortened to 12 minutes, each. Operation of the game clock will otherwise be according to rule. (“Running the clock” shall not be permitted.)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:30:56 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +49/-9
Re: S/B 2021 Quiz 1
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »
The only answer I would disagree with is number 3, although we're going to get to the same result. This is not intentional grounding. Simply raising the ball above his head before he spikes it doesn't mean it wasn't "immediate". It is, however, an example that simply having 3 or more seconds on the clock does not guarantee the offense two plays. They still must spike the ball before the clock hits 0:00. This play is AR 3-2-5-I almost verbatim. Because the clock expired prior to the pass hitting the ground, the half is over.

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »
#7is wrong. Foul is by A. 4/25 at A-15, snap. Everything else is good in regards to the helmet and player.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +49/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 12:38:12 PM »
Oh. Yup. I, and I assume Robert too, got the teams switched and read it as a foul on B.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 01:45:56 PM »
#7is wrong. Foul is by A. 4/25 at A-15, snap. Everything else is good in regards to the helmet and player.

Yeah, went in the wrong direction with the yardage penalty. My U and H wouldn’t let that happen, in real life.
Thanks.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
The only answer I would disagree with is number 3, although we're going to get to the same result. This is not intentional grounding. Simply raising the ball above his head before he spikes it doesn't mean it wasn't "immediate". It is, however, an example that simply having 3 or more seconds on the clock does not guarantee the offense two plays. They still must spike the ball before the clock hits 0:00. This play is AR 3-2-5-I almost verbatim. Because the clock expired prior to the pass hitting the ground, the half is over.

I totally stand corrected. Hadn’t read that AR in a while. It does strike me, however, that raising the ball over the head, or, perhaps swinging the arm well behind the shoulder, before throwing the ball would be about the only things a passer could do that would still qualify as ‘immediately’ after controlling the snap. A ‘pump’ wouldn’t qualify, and neither would checking for receivers or taking a step or two before throwing the ball.
The two things we have to be careful about during a ‘spike’ is to make sure the ball is controlled and thrown, and to make sure the ball goes forward.

Offline FBOfficialSJ

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 06:19:59 PM »
For #1.  Shouldn't the play clock be 25 sec?  A 4/4 @ B9.  25 sec play clock

We had a legal kick play that was not a free kick.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
For #1.  Shouldn't the play clock be 25 sec?  A 4/4 @ B9.  25 sec play clock

We had a legal kick play that was not a free kick.

Great catch. Yes. 25, and starts on the R’s signal. Crew saver!
Thank you.

Offline FBOfficialSJ

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 06:46:52 PM »
Great catch. Yes. 25, and starts on the R’s signal. Crew saver!
Thank you.
That's why we are a crew of 10 and buy into team officiating.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 07:20:05 PM »
That's why we are a crew of 10 and buy into team officiating.
  :thumbup

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »
Looks like we got 'em right.