Author Topic: Punt play...what ya got?  (Read 5023 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Punt play...what ya got?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 06:44:38 AM »
That's why I said that the Fed had begun "to stick their head in the rabbit hole".   The pop up kick is a play, where in theory, we must let the ball become live, even though legally dead, and then quickly rule it dead if need be.  I've yet to see one in person.  I guess our region's kickers are not that accomplished
We called one the first year the rule was put in. I guess it had the intended effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BetweenTheLines

• FAN REACTION: +10/-2
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 07:14:20 AM »
I was responding with the rule as it would be enforced today! The forward pass was still illegal when most of us started.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 10:10:56 AM »
I get it. But still, the foul doesn’t happen until the ball is kicked , and the down begins when the ball is snapped or kicked. So we have in essence done what you just scolded Ralph not to do. But I’m not mad.

2-7-1...A down is action which starts with a legal snap (beginning a scrimmage down) or when the ball is legally kicked (beginning a free-kick down) A down ends when the ball next becomes dead.

While the word legally is not in the current 2021 Rules Book, it certainly should be and my Chrystal ball is telling me it will likely appear in the 2022 Rules Book as that is clearly the intent of the Rules Committee.
My same old Chrystal ball is indicating Ralph would likely support adding this additional word to 2-7-1.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Well, I understand that, but really, it speaks to my point. Until the pop-up kick, it was virtually impossible to "illegally" kick the ball on a kickoff. But, since the advent of the pop-up, now we need to distinguish between a legal kick versus an illegal kick. That, plus the fact that we have to wait to see if the kick will become illegal or stay legal, and then effectually stop the play by blowing the whistle just seems to go against the grain of fundamental football.

I don't have a problem with the safety aspect of this foul, and when it comes down to it, I'm sure you all did the very best you could to come to a sensible solution. Your job is difficult, and I appreciate you for it.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
Why not allow a fair catch on a pop-up kick like the NCAA does? This would agree with the fundamental that no foul can cause a live ball to become dead, because the kick would remain live, and it would remove the unfair advantage the defense has in being able to recover a ball that is apparently lobbed into the air by taking advantage of the fact that fair-catch rules no longer apply, and hitting the kick receiver.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:09 PM »
Why not allow a fair catch on a pop-up kick like the NCAA does? This would agree with the fundamental that no foul can cause a live ball to become dead, because the kick would remain live, and it would remove the unfair advantage the defense has in being able to recover a ball that is apparently lobbed into the air by taking advantage of the fact that fair-catch rules no longer apply, and hitting the kick receiver.

Why?
Because the Rules Committees goal was to remove the Pop-Up Kick and have it exit the game in the same manner as the Return Kick!
I believe they achieved their goal.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 03:50:33 PM »
Why?
Because the Rules Committees goal was to remove the Pop-Up Kick and have it exit the game in the same manner as the Return Kick!
I believe they achieved their goal.
Another NFHS goal is not to make an exception with an exception. Allowing FC on a pop-up would be an exception. Making the "pop-up" illegal isn't an exception, just a new illegal act.

I hope no one takes exception to the fact that it is probably easier to learn a new rule than to learn an exception to an ole' one.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 06:50:23 PM »
In response to Ralphs illegally kicked kick; R would have the ball 1st and goal from the 4 after a half the distance penalty.
Excellent point with the tack-on rule. Tack-on didn't get passed until a couple of years after my screw-up. Good catch, BetweenTheLines  aWaRd.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 06:53:23 PM »
Nope. End of play was at the 8. Penalty happened in K end zone. Result of play is R’s ball at the 8. If R accepts the penalty the result is safety. If R DECLINES the penalty we not marking off anything. It’s R ball at 8. At the time of Ralph’s game. Remember, he’s old as Moses. 

Thanks, Calhoun, for the kind words  ;D !

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 06:54:06 PM »
Thanks, Calhoun, for the kind words  ;D !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk