Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Free Kick Question

(1/1)

dammitbobby:
Team A's free kick is muffed by B21 while in Team B's end zone. The ball hits the ground in the end zone, and rolls out of bounds at the B-4.

I  have my answer ready to post, just want to check and see if I am right...

Legacy Zebra:
B 1/10 @ B-4. The touch affects two (kind of three) things in this play. The first is that it means the ball remains alive when it touches the ground in the end zone. Because itís still alive, the clock starts when the ball crosses the goal line into the field of play. Also because of the touch by B, it is not a foul for the free kick going out of bounds. The ball belongs to the receiving team at the out of bounds spot when any kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines.

dammitbobby:
Thanks - I had this wrong.  I had it as since the ball touched the ground in the EZ, and since the muff didn't change the status of the ball from a kick, touchback.  I didn't account for the touch.

Legacy Zebra:
You are correct that the muff does not change the status. It is still a free kick. However, only an UNTOUCHED kick becomes dead when it touches the ground in the end zone. So even though this is still a kick, it remains alive because it is no longer untouched.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Legacy Zebra on July 21, 2021, 02:22:34 PM ---You are correct that the muff does not change the status. It is still a free kick. However, only an UNTOUCHED kick becomes dead when it touches the ground in the end zone. So even though this is still a kick, it remains alive because it is no longer untouched.

--- End quote ---

I know you know this, Legacy, but, just to be 100% clear for others, a legal kick untouched by TEAM B, that touches the ground in the end zone is an instantaneous touchback. Particularly on a punt, we often see Team A players touch the ball before it touches the ground in the end zone (untouched by B), and that results in an instantaneous touchback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version