Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Legal motion or unfair act?

(1/4) > >>

refjeff:
While the QB walks parallel to the LOS talking to the offensive lineman, apparently calling an audible, the ball is snapped directly to a running back.

Legal motion and a legal play,

or an Unfair Act, Case Book 9.9.1 Situation B "actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap isn't imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal."

What say you?

bama_stripes:
I vote for Unfair Act.

If the QB simply walks without talking, then OK.  But what you’ve described is very similar to “Where’s the tee” or “Wrong ball”.

bossman72:
I'm good with that play.  If he's gesturing to the sideline like there is something wrong, then I think that violates the rule.  Just calling normal football audibles/cadence is legal to me.

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: bossman72 on July 24, 2021, 08:03:19 AM ---I'm good with that play.  If he's gesturing to the sideline like there is something wrong, then I think that violates the rule.  Just calling normal football audibles/cadence is legal to me.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like yet another ENDLESS argument.  If an official wants to match wits with the average teenage QB (or tricky) Coach, he/she can accept that challenge (and any and all the consequence & nonsense that goes with it). 

A really SLOW and deliberate read of Case Book 7.2.7 covers 4 distinct examples to help those looking for guidance. 

How minutely YOU choose to split hairs is up to YOU (ALONE).   

refjeff:

--- Quote from: AlUpstateNY on July 24, 2021, 02:27:42 PM ---Sounds like yet another ENDLESS argument.  If an official wants to match wits with the average teenage QB (or tricky) Coach, he/she can accept that challenge (and any and all the consequence & nonsense that goes with it). 

A really SLOW and deliberate read of Case Book 7.2.7 covers 4 distinct examples to help those looking for guidance. 

How minutely YOU choose to split hairs is up to YOU (ALONE).

--- End quote ---
It's cheating, or it's not.

I believe coaches deserve better than every official independently deciding what they think is best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version