Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

S/B Quiz 4

<< < (2/2)

ump_ben:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on July 29, 2021, 09:12:06 PM ---2.   1/10 @ A-25. Receiver A83 leaps and receives a forward pass. Just as A83 returns to the ground at the A-45, B20 launches and drives his shoulder into A83’s neck and face mask area. A83 is ruled down at the A-45. This contact occurs in the second half.
RULING:
A, 1/10, B-40, ready (25). “Personal Foul with Targeting; number 20; defense. That’s a 15-yard penalty, and a first down. Number 20 is disqualified. The previous down is under further review.” “After further review, the ruling on the field is confirmed.”
B20 commits a 9-1-4 targeting foul (all elements are present: defenseless player, indicator, forcible contact, contact to opponent’s head/neck area). B2- is disqualified for the remainder of this game.

--- End quote ---

“Personal Foul with Targeting"  Shouldn't this just be targeting?  I'm having trouble figuring out what the personal foul is for if replay decides this isn't targeting.

Etref:
If replay says no targeting you still have the PF

Legacy Zebra:
What personal foul? The only foul in the original play was tgt.

ElvisLives:
Legacy is right. In full disclosure, Targeting was in its infancy when I retired from FBS, and I had no experience with them at that point. Since my return to HS football (4 years following FBS retirement), I have only had one Targeting foul, so my suggested announcement in this case is more speculative than experience-based. I believe Legacy is right. In the case of non-striking contact to the head-neck area that isn’t targeting, then there is no foul. So, the announcement for Targeting would be just that: “Targeting; number 20; defense. That’s a 15-yard penalty, and a first down. Number 20 is disqualified for the remainder of this game. The previous down is under further review.”
If the RO takes off the TGT, then the announcement would be something like, “After further review, there was no foul during the down. The result of the down is first down for State Tech at the 45 yard line. Number 20 of Capital is not disqualified, and may continue participation in this game.”

ElvisLives:
Crap. I forgot to mention, and include in the announcement, that A81 is disqualified for the Targeting. Got in a hurry, I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version