Author Topic: "DON'T BE AN ARMCHAIR REFEREE.PICK UP A WHISTLE."  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
"DON'T BE AN ARMCHAIR REFEREE.PICK UP A WHISTLE."
« on: February 18, 2023, 01:35:13 PM »
Is the lead editorial in today's (2/18) Bangor Daily News . It's a good positive read , but my limited tech skills leave me unable to post. Someone with a stronger background maybe can !HELP !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 01:51:05 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: "DON'T BE AN ARMCHAIR REFEREE.PICK UP A WHISTLE."
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »
Here's the article, but links in it don't work.

From https://www.bangordailynews.com/2023/02/17/opinion/editorials/think-you-know-better-than-the-referees-pick-up-a-whistle-and-prove-it/

After a controversial penalty called toward the end of Sunday night’s Super Bowl, armchair referees across the country weighed in with plenty of thoughts and even some outrage. Everybody knows better than the refs, it would seem.

Football fans, particularly Philadelphia Eagles fans, lamented that a defensive holding penalty would be called at such a decisive moment of a close championship game. As the penalized player acknowledged after the game, however, it was in fact a penalty.

“I was hoping he would let it go, but of course he’s a ref, it was a big game,” Philadelphia cornerback James Bradberry said after the game, as reported by ESPN. “It was a hold, so they called it.”

That’s playbook accountability and sportsmanship. Bradberry didn’t shift blame to the referees, as many have. He took responsibility.

Sports fans across the country should follow Bradberry’s lead. They should stop complaining about officiating, and put their energy into more productive pursuits, like being good sports or even picking up a whistle and becoming referees themselves. Because they still are needed, here in Maine and across the country.

Jeff Benson, the Maine Principals’ Association commissioner on officials, told the Bangor Daily News editorial board on Tuesday that the COVID-19 pandemic contributed to the referee shortage in multiple ways, with experienced referees retiring during that time and the lack of games making it difficult to get young people involved in officiating. Benson said that “probably this is at its largest point for fan behavior not being great” and also encouraged people to remember that officiating is often a second job for many referees.

“They’re just giving back to the game that gave them something, and we really appreciate their efforts,” Benson said.

For all the conversation about the quality of officiating in professional sports, and even the trend to replace some of these officials with technology, the real challenge is being felt at the local level. Referees for youth and high school competitions are in short supply nationally, with unruly and argumentative behavior from parents, other fans and coaches  consistently cited as a big factor.

“Parents harassing the umpires and referees of youth sports is not a new thing. But I bet I could easily make the case that it’s far worse today than it was a few years ago,” sports contributor Jeff Solari wrote in the BDN recently.

In that same piece, Solari quoted a social media post from a local referee who was driven to compiling a list of all the other things he could be doing with his time rather than getting yelled at in a gym.

“Spent my afternoon yesterday being verbally assaulted, mocked, threatened, belittled and yelled at….while basically volunteering my time reffing 5TH AND 6TH GRADE TRAVEL BASKETBALL,” the official posted.

“And we wonder why there is a referee shortage in all sports. We don’t do it for the money either. Trust me on that,” the referee continued.

This is neither a new problem or a Maine specific problem. Look at the similar headlines just in the past year: “Maine high school teams shuffle schedules due to referee shortage,”  in the BDN in August, and “Nationwide referee shortage impacting high school and youth sports” from a San Diego TV station that same month.

Amid the challenges, there may be some hope. Benson said that just in his area in the western part of the state, there are 30 new basketball officials this year.

“That might be a small uptick, but I can tell you, those young people that got into it, in joining our board, we are greatly pleased by that,” Benson said.

There have also been local efforts to get teenagers involved in refereeing as many older officials hang up their whistles.

“It’s really so important for people to have those games, and just to be a part of it is an awesome opportunity,” youth referee Brynne Sawyer, then a junior at Belfast Area High School, told the BDN last spring.

Efforts like this one are encouraging and should be built on further. The simplest and most obvious solution, however, is for people to stop making an already difficult job intolerable for local referees. We hope it will be all cheering and excitement, not anger and yelling, now that it’s time for the high school basketball tournament.

And even better, if people really want to be part of the solution rather than making things worse, they can join the referee ranks themselves. The MPA has information about how to do that on its website.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 07:23:09 PM »
Sadly, Bobby, I wish I could disagree with you, but I just can't. Following the advice of Forrest Guump, I've come to begrudgingly accept, "Stupid is, as Stupid does" and unfortunately "Stupid" seems to be a lifetime ailment, that so many people just can't shake. 

We're all guilty of sometimes speaking, before thinking but unfortunately, among many sports fans (and especially Sports Journalists) today's prevailing instinct seems definitely to have become "Speak first, before at all, thinking about what you're saying".  Hard as it might be, the best remedy appears still to simply ignore as much as you can unless/until it's repeated/persistent), to a which point correction may become necessary. 

Luckily, for me, a long ago Service connected hearing disability, has proven to be a Godsend, at least on the football field (and a happy Marriage), in that I don't actually hear, or understand, the majority of initial emotional/stupid outbursts.  Funny though, those that are repetitive, or progressive somehow come through much clearer, and can help decide where corrective action is appropriate.

I'm not sure if today there has been any dramatic increase in the number of really stupid people, but there seems a lot more, otherwise rational people, who seem eager/willing to support and/or follow the example of really stupid people.  Progress comes in many forms, not always positive.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »
Thanks, Bobby, for tracking that down. IMHO, the BOOS have gotten louder over the years.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 08:20:51 AM »
TIC

When under pressure most of us fall back on tried and true training and experience.   I believe the official looked at the scoreboard and saw a tied score.   Never let a game end in a tie if you can prevent it.   

He made the right call in a tough situation.  Kudos to him.   The only problem was that there were a lot of muggings throughout the game that weren't called.   I think at higher levels, the philosophy is "Don't call something in a critical spot that you wouldn't call in the first quarter."     

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »
When under pressure most of us fall back on tried and true training and experience.   I believe the official looked at the scoreboard and saw a tied score.   Never let a game end in a tie if you can prevent it.   

Huh?  You actually think the official looked at the scoreboard, saw a tie score, and thought to himself, "Man, I better do something so we don't end up in a tie?"  No way.  All that does is feed into the conspiracy theories that the games are fixed. 

And, if you were trained to never let a game end in a tie if you can prevent it, please forget that immediately.  Our job is not to help determine the outcome of a game.  We should (almost) never determine what we will or won't call based on the score.  We call fouls when we see them and they impact the play.  We do let more things go when the score is out of hand if they aren't safety related.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 11:21:33 AM »
Huh?  You actually think the official looked at the scoreboard, saw a tie score, and thought to himself, "Man, I better do something so we don't end up in a tie?"  No way.  All that does is feed into the conspiracy theories that the games are fixed. 

And, if you were trained to never let a game end in a tie if you can prevent it, please forget that immediately.  Our job is not to help determine the outcome of a game.  We should (almost) never determine what we will or won't call based on the score.  We call fouls when we see them and they impact the play.  We do let more things go when the score is out of hand if they aren't safety related.

I, too, was quite alarmed at that concept/philosophy/mentality - whatever you want to call it. Where did that come from? We are game officials, only. The games are played by the players for their enjoyment and benefit, and watched by spectators for their enjoyment. The games are NOT player for, or at, our convenience. If you have a more pressing engagement, or a something better to do, by all means, go do those things and leave the officiating to those who will fully and willingly uphold the integrity of all sports officials. Not at any level. Unacceptable. Passing on a marginal holding call in a 35-0 game in the fourth period is one thing. But to consciously and deliberately do ANYTHING that would cause a score to avoid extra periods would be criminal, besides being despicable.
Please say we horribly misunderstood you.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 11:32:11 AM »
Tongue in Cheek  (TIC)

This is an inside joke I have heard since I started officiating 30 years ago (I am retired).   For my crews, we always went over overtime rules at halftime when it was a close game and we anticipated it staying that way.  We would just joke about not letting it end in a tie.

I have called with a lot of outstanding officials, many average and a few sleezy.    One went 14 - 0 one year as a LJ.   He was known as a homer and I can't say he ever did make calls to stop a game ending in a tie but he was proud of the games he got by being a homer and taking care of his sideline (coach).

I have the highest respect for NFL officials.   

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
Tongue in Cheek  (TIC)

This is an inside joke I have heard since I started officiating 30 years ago (I am retired).   For my crews, we always went over overtime rules at halftime when it was a close game and we anticipated it staying that way.  We would just joke about not letting it end in a tie.

I have called with a lot of outstanding officials, many average and a few sleezy.    One went 14 - 0 one year as a LJ.   He was known as a homer and I can't say he ever did make calls to stop a game ending in a tie but he was proud of the games he got by being a homer and taking care of his sideline (coach).

I have the highest respect for NFL officials.

Noted. Just keep in mind that not all of us are "hip" to text shorthand, and - as it just happened - can easily misunderstand something intended to be in jest. Most things, even misunderstood, are not nearly as sensitive as this. But, in our environment today, we shouldn't even make jokes about officiating integrity. Joke about a guy forgetting his whistle. Joke about bad teams, bad weather, or similar things. But never make jokes about our integrity.
One man's opinion, for what it is worth.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
Here's an overtime chuckle I once had in a JV game....

In Maine, sub-varsity games can play overtime with pre-game agreement of the coaches. i gathered them....

ME: " Do you guys want to play overtime  ??? ?"
HOME COACH : "Ayuh, 'spect so  yEs: ."
VISITING COACH : " Hum...depends what the score is  :!# ?"
ME : "Well..I guess the score would be tied  ::) ."
V-COACH: " Ayuh, 'spect so, too  yEs: "

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »

Had a member of my crew say one time, well we almost let them play "free Football."  Shook my head at him, problem was his actions on the field really showed that he was just there to get a paycheck.  I made sure that I didn't have to work with him again.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »
we almost let them play "free Football.

I always figured if the game was the type that had a chance to go to OT then we had the GOTW.  Beats working a 40-6 blowout that you can't quite get to the running clock rule.
I'm also a believer in the tighter the game the less crap you hear from the sidelines.  They're more focused on what they are doing to worry much about what we're doing.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
Had a member of my crew say one time, well we almost let them play "free Football."  Shook my head at him, problem was his actions on the field really showed that he was just there to get a paycheck.  I made sure that I didn't have to work with him again.

I had a crew mate that, when we had a close game at halftime, would say we need to talk about free football in case it happens.  I'd always say if we are going to have free football, let's have a bunch of free football.  My first OT game in college lasted 2 plays (interception for an TD).  I was disappointed because I wanted to work some more.   :)

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 11:19:01 AM »
I had a crew mate that, when we had a close game at halftime, would say we need to talk about free football in case it happens.  I'd always say if we are going to have free football, let's have a bunch of free football.  My first OT game in college lasted 2 plays (interception for an TD).  I was disappointed because I wanted to work some more.   :)

Always good to talk about it, just to make sure everyone knows what's going to happen. There was a game last year in Europe which went into bonus football time. Unfortunately, the crew made it a little harder for the teams by starting the drives from A's 25 rather than B's. :o

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 12:02:53 PM »
MY Take : We don't give some of our paycheck back if the 2nd half is all running time, we shouldn't expect more if in overtime. Spoken from one that was officiating a regional championship that went 6 overtimes back in 1983 (then a NFHS record). Mud field, freezing rain, worse conditions ever worked in. We all griped about playing in such conditions, but never about pay.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 10:34:40 AM »
MY Take : We don't give some of our paycheck back if the 2nd half is all running time, we shouldn't expect more if in overtime. Spoken from one that was officiating a regional championship that went 6 overtimes back in 1983 (then a NFHS record). Mud field, freezing rain, worse conditions ever worked in. We all griped about playing in such conditions, but never about pay.

Agree totally. When I sign up to officiate a game, I'm signing up to do the complete game, no matter how long it takes, or what conditions we have to endure. It's not always about the money.

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 12:30:37 PM »
   It should never be about the money.  If its money you are after stand at a street intersection with a sign around your neck saying "homeless or something like that "and you will probably make a lot more money than you would ever make officiating a game.  We have professional beggars who are at the same location daily.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 12:45:33 PM »
I started umping baseball 3 years before I began football. Football has a game clock, while baseball doesn't. Today's high school football games in Maine seem to last 2:00 hours to 2:30 hours, while baseball games may last from 1:00 hour to 3:30 hours and we are not hourly employes. Rarely do I look forward to the end of a football game, as we are always moving.

MAINE BASEBALL IN EARLY SPRING:

Temp hovers around freezing.
Umping bases, just standing around,
Top of 5th, game 1 hr. long,
3 BB, 4 hits, 2 Es 3 pitching changes
Still top of 5th, game now 2 hrs. long,
Hands begin to turn blue.....

We shouldn't complain about the length of football games :)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 06:44:24 AM »
MAINE BASEBALL IN EARLY SPRING:

We have similar "spring" weather here in the mountains of WNC.  I actually got my start as a LL umpire in Boone, NC.  After a few seasons the chief umpire invited me to a HS clinic.  I really wasn't interested but after some prodding I finally went.  They spent the entire two hours talking about balks.  As I left, he looked at me and said "You aren't coming back, are you?"  I said "Bobby, Alleghany County is a long way to drive to get snowed out of a ball game."  Fall baseball has some gorgeous weather here but I never worked it.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2023, 07:07:17 AM »
My baseball single game last Friday: 42* & windy at game time — then it got dark.  4 hours total time.
My baseball JV/V dh yesterday: 83* at game time, 74* when we finished. 4 1/2 hours total time.

AKA Spring in the South.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »
My baseball single game last Friday: 42* & windy at game time — then it got dark.  4 hours total time.
My baseball JV/V dh yesterday: 83* at game time, 74* when we finished. 4 1/2 hours total time.

AKA Spring in the South.

We need a clock for baseball.  Most every other sport has a clock.  Instead of innings being based solely on 3 outs per half inning we can use a timer as well to end an inning.  3 outs or 8 minutes, whichever comes first.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »
We need a clock for baseball.  Most every other sport has a clock.  Instead of innings being based solely on 3 outs per half inning we can use a timer as well to end an inning.  3 outs or 8 minutes, whichever comes first.

An 8-minute half-inning? Don't know that I ever had that even in minor league professional baseball, where pitchers could, more generally, keep the ball around the plate. I would never vote for that. That is totally foreign to real baseball. Baseball is based upon outs - not time. To apply time directly to baseball denies the players their right to play the game as it was intended by its inventors. A maximum half-inning time denies the players their right to hit the ball and keep scoring. Now, a maximum number of runs per half-inning might be worthy of consideration (for HS). Maybe 9.

Maximum time and run rules for sub-little league baseball are OK, because those kids can't keep their attention long enough to play 6, 7, 8, 9 full innings. And they aren't physically or emotionally hardy enough to last more than 75 minutes or so. Run rules are OK for HS baseball. But not a time limit. Neither are appropriate for anything above HS level. Time-between-pitches rules are OK for HS and above.

One long-retired umpire's opinion.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
NFHS baseball has a ten run mercy rule. If a team leads by 10+ runs after 5 innings (4 1/2 with the home team leading). This helps to shorten blowouts. Is Texas high school baseball by NHHS or NCAA rules?

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2023, 05:04:34 PM »
NFHS baseball has a ten run mercy rule. If a team leads by 10+ runs after 5 innings (4 1/2 with the home team leading). This helps to shorten blowouts. Is Texas high school baseball by NHHS or NCAA rules?

Well, NFHS, but we won’t deduct points for spelling.  🙂

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 07:23:21 PM »

No clocks in baseball.

Half of the problem with baseball is "getting ready" for everything.
After every pitch.
After every half inning.
There is no sense of urgency at any time during the game.

You'd have to change the fundamentals of baseball minds to change it and get rid of the rules that allow players to get "ready".  For example you can change the rule that doesn't allow the batter to step out of the box for any reason.  If he does, he must immediately return.  Subsequently, the pitcher can pitch any time the batter is standing in the box (which would get rid of the quick pitch rule that exists today).  So the batter would always have to be in a state of readiness.  Pitcher must deliver or pick off within 5 or 10 seconds or receiving the ball, so he can't dilly dally either.  This would be baseball at warp speed and you'd have to think on your toes.

This will never happen though.