Author Topic: 12 Year Old Too Big for Pee Wee Football  (Read 2939 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
12 Year Old Too Big for Pee Wee Football
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
Ya think!?!?!??!! I can't believe his parents are making an issue of this. I also can't believe they would rather him be under the guidance of a Pee Wee coach rather than a "real" coach.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/14/texas-seventh-grader-nearly-300-pounds-told-too-big-to-play-pee-wee-football/

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: 12 Year Old Too Big for Pee Wee Football
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »
"Henderson, the league’s president, said if Earnheart was in sixth grade he’d be able to play, but seventh-graders over the weight limit must play in a school league."

What am I missing here?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »
What am I missing here?

I'm strictly guessing here but in NC 6th graders are ineligible for MS sports so I'm guessing TX may be same?
As a 7th grader is eligible, I imagine the youth league's stance is there is an alternative for him available so they enforce their weight clause.

I think the weight limit back at that age group for me in youth ball back then was like 125 or so.  He's like three whole children in one.

My guess is they know he can't hack it in school ball but he could dominate in pee wees.  There's a lot of stupidity in our country today.

"
I don't want to play in school right now because it's people that's had experience and I want to get some experience first and then start playing,"
Translation- I've been laying on the couch eating HoHos, playing Xbox, when one day this youth coach comes by and talks me into playing football.  He told momma and daddy I can get a scholarship to college and we'd win a championship.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:50:20 AM by HLinNC »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »
Not a big fan of weight restrictions of any sort for FB. 
Certainly, there are exceptions, but the norm for the most part is "big kids" are not agile and/or coordinated enough at 12 yrs old (or younger) to be any more dominant or able to inflict injury than anyone else on the field.   

Regarding "learning the game/experience" perspective, round these parts:
Middle schools only play 6 games.  Youth play 10.  So from this perspective, youth is a better avenue for kids.
Plus (again, round these parts) for the most part, youth coaches are better coaches than MS coaches.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
Disappointment is a good lesson to learn at a young age.