Football Officiating > State-Specific Topics (Texas Not Included)

Massachusetts switches to NFHS rules

<< < (2/3) > >>

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: clearwall on December 12, 2018, 01:17:53 PM ---Not a lawyer or anything, but what is the reasoning for this change? I know the article says it avoids possible litigation, but unless there is a threat of one, what possible litigation could you have by choosing to use a specific ruleset over another? What about sports that DONT have an NFHS rulebook? Are you still under threat of litigation because of that? I dont see how that is a justification. "NFHS addresses sportsmanship, fairplay..." so does the NCAA. This seems baffling to me

--- End quote ---

Just a guess, but it seems logical: Blocking below the waist.  Massachusetts may have seen the potential for liability for an/some injury/injuries caused by blocks below the waist, even if legal as permitted by NCAA rules.  Not at all a stretch for an attorney to make the argument that the governing organization should have recognized the potential for injury due to such blocks, and either made all blocks below the waist illegal, or switched to NFHS rules. 
"This poor boy had his entire future stolen from him by this governing body, which chose to ignore the evidence, and allow actions that are obvious to any reasonable person as being clearly dangerous."  Or something like that.

Robert

ilyazhito:
Why not NCAA rules with an exception for Blocking Below the waist, then?

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: ilyazhito on December 15, 2018, 06:15:46 PM ---Why not NCAA rules with an exception for Blocking Below the waist, then?

--- End quote ---

There are a significant number of differences between NCAA and NFHS rules, (Which are designed for Interscholastic level athletes, who begin to participate far below the Varsity level).

JasonTX:
We use NCAA rules as young as 5 years old in Texas.  But our kids are far more advanced than other states.   :sTiR:

Grant - AR:

--- Quote from: JasonTX on December 16, 2018, 07:58:45 PM ---We use NCAA rules as young as 5 years old in Texas.  But our kids are far more advanced than other states.   :sTiR:

--- End quote ---

They are bigger too, right?  Because Texas... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version