Author Topic: Game Clock under 3 secs  (Read 2135 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Game Clock under 3 secs
« on: December 17, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
Team A just gained a first down and the clock is stopped at 2 seconds for the first down.  They run up and quickly snap the ball and spike it and the crew rules there should be 1 second left.  TXMike, this will be a good one for future training.  Luckily the next play ended in a sack but we need to know the minimum time rule in 3-2-5.  This was from the 3A-Div 2 game. 

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Game Clock under 3 secs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
Had this happen in a game I did play clock for. 2 left, ball spiked and 1 showing but half a sec remaining. Crew announced half was over, not enough time by rule for a spike.

Offline Timer

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Crew got lucky.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
This game is pretty wild for sure! If you’re not watching you should be, even as a spectator it’s a instant classic

Offline ess1970

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
If you watch the clock more closely, the previous play that resulted in a first down stopped the clock with 3 seconds remaining in the game.  As the teams were moving into position and before the clock was wound to start by the R, for whatever reason, the clock changed from 3 seconds remaining to 2 seconds remaining.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »
I thought there were 3s left.

My bigger problem with this game came at 13 seconds left.  They tackled #24 for Franklin near the sideline.  But the end of the play happened out of bounds.  His momentum wasnt stopped in bounds...  The clock should have been stopped.  This isnt peewee, Sub Varsity, or some blowout...  Franklin had to use their last timeout on that play.  That could have mattered.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:45:22 AM by psv »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
So if we had 3 secs that then for whatever reason the clock operator took it down to 2 seconds,  could replay get involved to determine if the spike play would allow time for 1 more play?  When I looked at it I thought it was stopped at 2 seconds so the spike play would have been the last play.

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
I believe this game also had other timing problems - after the last TD (I think) they didn't start the clock on the KO until very late, and ran it for a few seconds after the play ended, giving the appearance of trying to make up for it. 

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
I thought there were 3s left.

My bigger problem with this game came at 13 seconds left.  They tackled #24 for Franklin near the sideline.  But the end of the play happened out of bounds.  His momentum wasnt stopped in bounds...  The clock should have been stopped.  This isnt peewee, Sub Varsity, or some blowout...  Franklin had to use their last timeout on that play.  That could have mattered.

I noticed this as well.  (and agree 100% with you)

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
A lot of pressure on the officials this year.   I am really PO'ed because Dish still doesn't have FoxSW.  I miss watching these games more than the shortened baseball season.

So far, four 11-man games and the total point spread is 25 points and 22 of these were in one game.  Great football.

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
I'm watching through the Fox Sports Go app, and my sister's Suddenlink credentials LOL.  You may be able to get it that way. through the app?