Author Topic: Umpires to stay on B side of ball  (Read 472 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +115/-87
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Umpires to stay on B side of ball
« on: March 07, 2021, 12:50:45 PM »
Looks like we’re going to revert to leaving the U on the B side of the ball on punts. I never saw any great improvement in officiating with the U in the offensive backfield. Truthfully, never really saw the need for it to begin with. Just my opinion.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-3
Re: Umpires to stay on B side of ball
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Looks like we’re going to revert to leaving the U on the B side of the ball on punts. I never saw any great improvement in officiating with the U in the offensive backfield. Truthfully, never really saw the need for it to begin with. Just my opinion.

Source?

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »

I agree. It never added anything and I think the only reason TASO did it was to look more like the college game without actually bringing in a C. Not being an umpire here, but I would think it would be HARDER to see what you need to (defender lined over snapper, holding, etc) from behind the offense. You can't see their hands or get a good gauge as to the frame of the body from back in the offensive backfield.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-9
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 03:20:29 PM »
Elvis is correct.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +71/-22
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
Elvis is correct.
Isn’t he always?     ;D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +115/-87
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 05:21:18 PM »
Isn’t he always?     ;D

No, not always right. But very blessed to have worked for Mr. Jim Blackwood, who, I have learned, has passed away. I was fortunate to have talked to him by phone just a few weeks ago. I owe everything I am in officiating to him. I love that man, and he loved us, and allowed us to enjoy working at the highest level of collegiate football.
He was the best. A great person, the greatest coordinator, and the consummate football man.
I miss him already.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas