Author Topic: Clock malfunction Procedure during a game..  (Read 264 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +8/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Clock malfunction Procedure during a game..
« on: March 15, 2021, 06:07:36 AM »
I had an instant of the play clock failing last season just after the game started..even though I had tested the play clock before the game and it was working fine.

The R had realized the play clock malfunction and had relayed to me (via the home team coaches) to turn it off (Which I obviously know is his right to do).

If the R does not realize there is a malfunction in the game/play clock, I would have gone to the home team coaches and asked them to relay to the R that the <Insert appropriate clock type here> had malfunctioned and the R would tell me how to procced.

At half-time, I went to the officials locker room and asked the R if they needed my assistance in keeping the play clock on the field. He said he would let the B handle it, which again I know is within the rules.
I decided to stay and watch the remainder of the game.

I forgot to ask the R if an incident report should be filed because of the play clock failure or if  the R would include it in the game report (Although I am not sure if game reports are filed at the HS level).

Is this the correct procedure to follow if either clock happens to fail after a game has started? Anything veteran Rs and/or other officials would like to add?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +115/-87
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Clock malfunction Procedure during a game..
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:01:42 AM »
I do not speak for TASO on this issue, and TASO execs might have a different tack for this, but this would not, IMHO, warrant a UIL Incident Report. I would alert my chapter execs, and suggest that a memo be sent to the school to note the equipment failure, with our best wishes for having the equipment repaired before the next game at that location, and that a memo be sent to the rest of the chapter to notify them of the failure, and to review procedures and be prepared to keep the game/play clock timing on the field, particularly for those that may have future assignments at that location.

FYI, if this was an NCAA contest, yes, I would note the clock failure in my game report. You can be nearly 100% certain that the problem will be corrected before the next home game, one way or another.

But, we must always be prepared to keep clocks on the field.

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +8/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Re: Clock malfunction Procedure during a game..
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »
But, we must always be prepared to keep clocks on the field.
As evidenced by my experience  :)

I was  pray:; that the R would realize the play clock was malfunctioning, as I was just about to go to the home team coaches to let them know so they could relay down to the field. Thankful the R realized it was before it got that far  yEs:

As always, good info for the upcoming season and I hope to build on my successes of the past two seasons :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:14:57 AM by Official_21 »